Why two bodies?

hyatt_lee

When I mostly used 35 mm SLRs I did use two identical bodies. Loaded with different films and different lenses, with one acting as a backup in case the other called it quits. But now I have gone on a completely different course. I often carry two bodies, but they are totally different. One medium format or large format and one Leica M or Xpan, for example. It is important to have another camera for backup and if you have a large selection of lenses, it would make sense that your backup body can make use of all those lenses. But I like the versatility and variation of different formats, and I only have a few lenses.

Same as Marc, for the different magnifications. I use the Tri-Elmar on a .58 M6TTL, because it enables me to see the 28mm frameline. I alternate between 50mm Summilux, 90mm Elmarit and 135 Elmar on a .72, which helps me to frame and focus better with those lenses. Usually, the same type of film is in both cameras.

I take two bodies on trips in case one breaks.

I never carry two at the same time anymore. Too heavy and too confusing.

I might do it if I wanted to shoot really fast and never change lenses.

I find I can't shoot diffrent films at the same time.

When Sabastiao Salgado shot the Reagan assasination attempt, he had three Leica Ms around his neck. And in just a few seconds shot most of three rolls. (Not that you'll be encountering assasination attempts - though one never knows . . . .)<P>

My ideal kit is three Leica Ms and two SLRs (R6.2 or Nikon F3HP; or, possibly, something similar in Contax). That translates to two Ms and one SLR for actual use, and one of each for backup (because, again, you never know). <P>

I figure two rangefinders, each with a different magnification (.58 and .85 or, in the case of an M3, .91 isn't it?), would be the ideal combo for a classic paring of focal lengths - 24mm and 50mm, say, or 35mm and 75mm; or some combo thereof. Not to mention simultaneous use of color and b&w, which you might be game to experiment with (rather like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time). <P>

Meanwhile, if you're going to do any tele work, ever, or any macro, you'll need that SLR: I'd hang onto it. And buy the second M.

Hyatt,

Collectively ALL the answers here are right.....each for the individual that made them! So, your answer must be, "do what suits you", NOBODY else can tell you.

I could, but that would probably not be right for you. Get it!

It wasn't meant to be easy, and it ain't.

P.S. I would buy the extra body (Shhh... don't tell anyone I said it!)

For travel with the family, I only use one body. Shooting professionally, however, I always use two cameras, and sometimes more.

Two bodies allow use of both wide and long lenses. I use a M6TTL .58 for lenses 35mm and shorter, and an M3 with the 50 Noctlilux and the 90 AA.