Enlarger lens for Century Graphic?

paul_ong1

<p>Hi,<br>

I am looking for a 100mm to 135mm lens that I can use on a Century Graphic that I have modified to accept a digital camera, the Sony NEX 5. Another thread suggested Mamiya Press 100mm f2.8 or Zeiss 105mm Tessar, and I have been looking for them. So far, the ones that I found are not cheap. My alternative is to use some good MF enlarger lenses, and I am experimenting with the 80mm Schneider Componon-S. At infinity, the bellows does not extend out much, thus making it difficult to use the movements. So, I would like to try a longer focal length enlarger lens that can perform decently when focusing at a distance. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on a good, light and small MF lens that would fit the Century besides the ones listed above?</p>

<p>Below is an image with description of the hybrid camera. You can see a larger version of that photo plus some examples of how the camera is used at the following:<br>

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/sets/72157626713726633/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/sets/72157626713726633/</a><br>

You can see previous hybrids at:<br>

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/collections/72157625831465221/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/.../photos/9476880@N02/collections/72157625831465221/</a><br>

Thanks.</p>

<div>00YoFe-364087584.jpg.5d8c7d869fb4bea64b7575f294b316c9.jpg</div>

<p>There are a host of lenses in shutter with focal lengths between 100 and 135mm. The barrel lenses sans shutter would either fall into the category of enlarger lenses or older non coated lenses used on mirror cameras like 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 and 4x5 Graphlex cameras. I would think you can find these on the 'net or at the e**y auction site. Make sure you get the lenses with retaining "jam" nut to mount on your lens boards.</p>

<p>Paul, I've tried a number of 100 mm +/- enlarging lenses as taking lenses at distance on my 2x3 Graphics. 100/5.6 Componon-S, 105/5.6 Componon, 105/5.6 El-Nikkor (old style), 105/5.6 Comparon, 4"/5.6 Enlarging Pro Raptar, even a 105/5.6 Rodagon-G that may not have got a fair trial. And a 135/5.6 Saphir B. Short answer, they were all lousy and I wouldn't use any of them as a taking lens at distance. Closeup, yes, far away, no.</p>

<p>There's one sort-of exception, the Saphir BX. But it wasn't computed for enlarging even though it was sold as an enlarging lens. It is really a rebadged Zircon, somewhere between a convertible (jes' plain) Symmar and a Symmar-S. Saphir BXs are hard to find. Focal lengths offered (don't know how many of each were made) include 100, 105, 110, 135, 150, ...; I have a 105 and a 150, use them as taking lenses on my Graphics).</p>

<p>If you want a good sharp inexpensive lens for a Century Graphic, get a 101/4.5 Ektar. It is a Tessar type, image quality is slightly worse in 2x3's corners than in the center even at f/16 but it should do very well on your NEX 5's tiny sensor. Superb lens. Since you're using only the center of the image, a 101/4.5 Raptar/Optar should do well for you too. And a 103/4.5 Graftar is actually better than the 101 Ektar. Large surprise, that.</p>

<p>Re the Century Graphic's movements, what are you talking about? Only front rise is usable and there's not much of it. Shift is risky because it is easy to introduce a bit of unwanted swing and impossible unless the front standard is in front of the bed struts. Backwards tilt is available but so what? And dropping the bed and tilting the front standard less than all the way back to get a little downwards tilt works only for a narrow range of focal lengths. If you want movements, get a real technical or view camera.</p>

<p>Paul, thanks for the suggestions. Don't need a shutter because there is one on the Sony NEX. I am hoping that there is a usable enlarger lens, or a lens for the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 format, which would be about the right size and weight.</p>

<p>Dan, thank you very much for the information. Exactly the type of details I need, but sorry to hear that most of the enlarger lenses are so lousy. I will try looking for the Saphir/Zircon, and also the Ektar (which is ready on my list of possible options, but good to get more information from you). Will also look for the Raptar/Optar and Graftar. All on ebay because this is a low-cost project.</p>

<p>Yes, the Century Graphic's movements are limited. One of the reasons to get a longer focal length is to get the front standard on the folding bed. While limited, I find the tilt to be helpful, and I used it this weekend for some photos (camera rotated 90 degrees so the tilt becomes swing), which are posted on a flickr site. (See in particular "GS450GA Suzukimatic 1," at<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9476880@N02/<br>

The hybrid was very effective is rotating the focus plane so I can capture the entire name plate.</p>

<p>I also have a Toyo 45G that I have modified to use the Sony with Mamiya MF lenses, a setup that has the most flexibility, which you can see below. However, this rig is heavy, so my experiment with the Century Graphic.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Paul, be cautious when shopping for a Boyer Saphir BX. Saphir is a trade name that was applied to a number of very different lens types. You want a Saphir BX or a Zircon. You don't want any of the other Saphirs. Design types sold as Saphirs include tessar, 6/4 double Gauss, 6/4 plasmat (a number of very different prescriptions, BX/Zircon is one), and a few others. And then there's the heliar type Apo-Saphir.</p>

<p>If I wasn't clear, Saphir BXs and Zircons are quite uncommon. If you want a lens in that class you'd probably do better to look for an f/5.6 plasmat type from, in alphabetical order, Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock, or Schneider. That I lucked into inexpensive Boyer lenses some time ago doesn't mean that you'll be as lucky now.</p>

<p>To learn more about Boyer lenses, see http://www.galerie-photo.com/boyer-lens-optic.html</p>

<p>Most of the later Rodenstock enlarging lenses have a light-pipe to illuminate the aperture scale, and this would need to be taped up to prevent light leaking into the camera. They're also too similar to the Schneider enlarging lenses to call a difference on them. There's a Rodenstock copying lens type called Apo-Gerogon which is better as a taking lens. Then there's the ubiquitous Schneider Xenars, which usually come in a shutter and have been maltreated and got scratched - good if you can only find a clean example.</p>

<p>I came across a nice little 135mm Hexanon copying lens that might fit the bill, also the well-regarded G-Claron is available down to a 135mm focal length and maybe in 105mm as well (really not sure about the latter). Other than that you could cannibalise an old Zeiss folder or a speed-graphic. There are Russian or Ukrainian made folders kicking around that house a 105mm Tessar-type lens as well.</p>

<p>Michael, Dan and Joe,</p>

<p>Yes, I am open to Rodenstock enlarger lenses; however, from what I have read and heard, I think that enlarger lenses are not the way to go, at least most of the good standard ones. I did start looking for a Boyer Saphir BX, and found one on ebay outside the US, but very expensive. This is a low budget project, but I will keep looking for it now and then. I don't know much about copy lenses, but I suspect that they have the same issues for distant focusing. Could be wrong. I am intrigued by the Schneider Xenars, which were also mentioned at another forum. I will put it on my "hunt list". I am also looking for older 6x9 size fold downs with 105mm Tessar. With a growing list of options, I suspect I should find something reasonable in a few weeks.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone.</p>