Two Leicas (updated)

gene m

<p>The cameras pictured in the post below (<em>Two Leicas</em>) are both red dial IIIf. Serial numbers 588627 and 568551. They both have hazy Summitar lenses, non functioning rangefinders and nearly frozen focus mechanisms. The long lens is a clean 135 Stenheil Culminar. One of the cameras has a crinkled lens curtain. The camera body's are G condition<br>

The equipment went for $750 at a local auction. My bid was long forgotten as the owner walked out the door.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just for info - the haze in the lenses would require dismantling and cleaning, costly, not every repairman will do it, and there's always the risk that the haze has attacked the glass surface causing pitting, which can be fixed only by regrinding, repolishing and recoating the affected lens surfaces - this work is seldom cost-effective.<br>

Non-functioning rangefinders - these essentially have a prism on a pivot, which would probably respond to cleaning and lubrication, but the prism may also have damage to its silvering, which is costly to fix. The stiff focus is probably dried grease in the lens, not a problem in itself. The crinkle in the curtain would be because the tension at either edge of the shutter is different, maybe fixable with adjustment, new curtains of course mean more cost.<br>

The real deal-breaker is probably the condition G - if this means "good", which in fact means "with heavy signs of wear", the result would be that, even if you had all the necessary servicing done, you'd still end up with two cosmetically ugly examples of a camera which is not hard to find in Exc++ condition (100% working, very slight signs of wear). You have certainly saved a bundle by walking away from these cameras - sounds as if the winning bidder was a non-expert and got carried away!</p>

<p>The repairs are close to what the winner paid, so the total acquisition will approach $1500 with no room for profit on a resale in fact there may be a loss to the winner. Gene M, you may have lucked out on this. I find auctions to be a two edged sword. I usually leave a "left bid" and walk away not wanting to be there for the bidding war. Once in a while I win, but mostly the camera(s) goes for far more than I want to pay.</p>

Not sure. I think 750 is a fair price for all this, even considering it needs CLAs. It depends on the front

elements being scratche. If not too severe, haze can be relatively easily cleaned from Summitars. It's

mostly the surfaces in front and behind the diaphragm. The front cell screws off easily and gives access

to these surfaces. I could do it myself. A clean Summitar is worth about $250. IIIfs easily bring $350 and

when you have Youxin looked at them, you could get $400. The Summarit hood is much sought after:

$150. The finder $50. Don't know about the Steinheil.

<blockquote>

<p>Once in a while I win, but mostly the camera(s) goes for far more than I want to pay.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You would think that the factors in an auction would balance out - sellers set themselves a budget and stick to it. But no... People really do pay too much at auctions. Not my problem!</p>

• 2 weeks later...