Zurich to Geneva

randleman

<p>Hello to All,</p>

<p>I have three days by car to travel from Zurich to a meeting in Geneva. Any suggestions on the best route and must see stops for landscape photo ops? I was thinking about stying a night in/around Interlaken and then a night near Zermatt - is this feasible, or are there other better locations?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Brad</p>

If you have three days, why not veer off the beaten path and head to Duesseldorf,Germany, you will not

be dissapointed.

Also ,while travelling to Geneva, you will pretty much be in view of the Alps the whole time as well as

many small towns and villages, all of which are very picturesque.

<p>The issue you have with photographing the most picturesque parts of Switzerland is getting a car to the point of opportunity. Interlaken is not so bad since you have the Lakes. I don't know how close you can get to Zermatt in a car. The point I'm making here is that you might have to park the car and proceed by public transport after a point and then be dependent on further public transport to get you to places that you want to photograph. All of which takes time.</p>

<p>Round Interlaken you can get as far as Grindelwald, or Lauterbrunnen by car (not Wengen or Murren) Its all going to seem a lot more worthwhile if you stopped off at Interlaken or Grindelwald for a couple of days so you had time to take a couple of cable car trips and walks and then on day 3 drive through to Geneva maybe with short stops at Gruyeres and to photograph Chateau Chillon in the late afternoon, with an easy autoroute drive to Geneva after. I think one night stops will impose too high a level of transport time to reach them and you'll end up with too little time for photography. If you did this then you might like to consider the following<br>

The cable car trip to First from Grindelwald and walking around at that level to the Bachalpsee or along to Grosse Scheidegg with views of the Eiger/Monch/Wetterhorn all the way.</p>

<p>The cable car trip to Mannlichen with views of the Jungfrau as you walk to Kleine Scheidegg or further to Wengen, returning to Grindelwald by train.</p>

<p>The shores of Lake Brienz at dawn</p>

<p>The open-air museum at Ballenberg near Brienz with examples of chalets from all parts of Switzerland transported to one site. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Your first stop should be Luzern. After that, you can go toward Interlaken, or aim for Locarno. The Italian part of Switzerland has a different character, it's full of small picturesque villages and the weather is more sunny. From there, you can quickly get back to Lausanne and Geneva through Sierre and Sion.<br>

Have a great trip.</p>

<p>Your first stop should be Luzern. After that, you can go toward Interlaken, or aim for Locarno. The Italian part of Switzerland has a different character, it's full of small picturesque villages and the weather is more sunny. From there, you can quickly get back to Lausanne and Geneva through Sierre and Sion.<br>

Have a great trip.</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the advice! The weather was not friendly to me for much landscape work, but the drive was beautiful nonetheless. I stayed in Interlaken and drove around Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen anyway - would definitely recommend if the weather is decent. </p>