Which flash to use on an M6 Classic?

<p> I occasionally wish to use a small flash unit with my M6 Classic. I have a Nikon Sb-23 and a Vivitar auto 215 that seemingly can be used mounted on the hot shoe, but I'm fearful of frying the electronics inside the camera. I hesitate to use either because of this. Can someone provide guidance?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Chuck</p>

Actually, I would be surprised if the Classic has a trigger voltage limit. In the TTL, the gate contact is controlled by electronics, which limits the voltage, but in the Classic (and older Ms) it's just a mechanical switch attached to the shutter.

That's why high-trigger-voltage strobes exist: Older mechanical cameras didn't care, they just shorted the contacts.

(Of course, I don't know this for certain, usual disclaimers apply, etc)

<p>I've used Vivitar 283's and the 365 potatoe masher on my original M6 (non TTL) without incident. I too might be a bit wary of the TTL version though.<br>

There is a chart of flash trigger voltages here, <br>

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html<br>

You can damage newer digital cameras but I'd be hard pressed to say you would damage the M6.</p>

<p>I think BK is right. AFAIK, modern (digital) Leicas are built to withstand pretty high voltage - it <strong>might</strong> be the same for the older models - , and the M6 Classic manual states: "All currently available flash units can be connected to the Leica M6..." So I think you should be safe....</p>

<p>One of the best flashes is the Canon 299T. I've used it on my M5, M6 and M7. It' great because you have a full range if apertures from f/2 to /16. You're not limited to two or three openings. I'm a big fan of the old Vivitar 283 and 285, but the aperture range on the 299T is unparalleled. The diownside is the crappy plastic shoe which, unfortunately, is intengral to the unit itself, thus it cannot be replaced with a metal show, like you can do (and I did) on the 283 or 285. Another great flash for the M's is a Metz 32 for TTL mode. I'm not a big fan of TTL, I prefer the older "manual" units where the strobe controls the exposure and not the camera.</p>

I remember there was a device that would help limit the voltage from older flash units to cameras that can't take high voltages. They cost around $50ish here in Australia when I checked at a shop in Mount Gravatt. I know B&H photo stocks them. Buy that and you'd be able to use all manners of flash devices on your camera without fear of shorting out the circuitry in it.

I'm also using a Nikon cable when I use my SF24D on my M6. To augment the flash, I usually carry a couple of Metz 28 CS-2 slave flash units as well. I throw them around or mount them on gorilla pods when when necessary.

Good luck man!

I also have those old Vivitar flashes and I love them. I've used it on my M8 but stopped after I got scared that it might short it out.