Nikon TC-20E111

stephen_lilley

<p>I would welcome feedback from any one <em><strong>who has use</strong></em>d the latest version of the 2x TC. I am aware of the loss of 2 stops of light and loss of autofocus on my D300/ 500mm EF VR setup. I am more concerned with trade off of image quality. I shoot mainly small birds, getting close is all, but there are sometimes when you cannot get those extra few feet , which would make all the difference. Normally I use a 1.4TC, I have considered the 1.7TC What do you guys think? Stephen</p>

<p>I use it on the D300 and D3s along with the 70-200VRII. My immediate observation was that the image quality suffered much more on the D300 than the D3s. Not really a surprise, due to differences in pixel size between the two, but at the same time it was a litte dissapointing as the D300 is the one I would want to use in order to get extra close.<br>

That said, the combination on the D3s is really quite exceptional. Even without stopping down I can get really good results.<br>

I cant speak for the 500mm + tc-20EIII combo, but I suspect that using it on the D300 will create a challenge for you anyway with regard to the image quality. </p>

<p>I bought my TC-20e III a few months ago. In fact, due to shortage, I was on the waiting list on multiple stores and accidentally ended up with two for a short while, and I returned one of them.</p>

<p>During the few days I had two, I tested them carefully along with my older TC-20e, version 1. I would say version 3 provides noticeably better image quality than version 1, but it is not a miracle. Image degradation with a 2x TC is still obvious, and all the difficulties using it with a 500mm/f4 lens are still there: you end up with a super long 1000mm lens but very slow at maximum f8. (TC-20E version 2, which I don't have, is optically identical to version 1).</p>

<p>2X TCs work quite well with my 300mm/f2.8 AF-S and 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR II. On a 500mm/f4, I would stick with no more than a the TC-14e. Moreover, those combos still work ok on a D300. The D7000 with its 16MP will show a lot more flaws from anything but top-of-the-line optics. Please keep in mind that those are merely my preferences, and I am extremely picky. Your mileage may vary.</p>

<p>Another feedback about using the TC-20E111 on a D7000 with a 70-200 VRII lens... Have not done the full-scale Thom Hogan type acuity tests, but my initial two weeks worth of shots have been most satisfying and sharp to my non-pro (but discerning) eye. Case in point: doing informal depth of field study shots on a power pole across the street from me (about 75 yards) the images clearly revealed the lettering on the 1/2" Romex electrical cable. That's pretty good for a f5.6 setting, I think!</p>