Lightroom changed file dates??

<p>To back up, I routinely sync all of my images to an external hard drive. Today, after LR called for a weekly backup, I set up to sync images. It should have showed 50+ deletions (CR2 RAW files) and perhaps 20 additions (all XMP sidecar files) since my last sync a few days ago. Instead, the sync software shows over 2000 files needing updating! These seem all to be either jpgs or xmp, not raw, and some are files I have not touched in 3 years. I checked, and windows is showing them as modified today, even though I did not access them in any way in Lightroom. The files I have opened look OK, at a casual glance.</p>

<p>Has anyone experienced LR changing the date flags on files? I don't want to back up until I know what is going on, for fear of overwriting good files with bad.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I just had the same thing happen! I went to do my normal rsync backup there were thousands of modified files.<br>

Almost all of those files were folders I had browsed the night before while doing an ad-hoc photo show.<br>

Very disconcerting!<br>

I ran a "find" script over my backup to pick up the files that it wants to update. The trouble w/that is I actually need to let it update the newest files, so I have to edit the list carefully.<br>

What a pita for an apparent lightroom hiccup.<br>

Any other reports of folks finding their files have been modified after a simple browse session?</p>

<p>More news. The problem (maybe it's on purpose, but I've never noticed it before) is still happening.</p>

<p>To repeat, try this: browse to folder in catalog. Double click image to view. So far, just browsing and viewing, no change to mod date. That's important, add the mod date column in windows explorer to see this.</p>

<p>Now: view the image at 1:1. Watching the explorer window when you do this you'll see the file mod date get updated.<br>

What changed?</p>

<p>Here's what I know.</p>

<p>Lightroom is updating the exif info in jpg files, and the xmp sidecar files for raw images.<br>

The updates include a new version number for the XMPToolkit field, and the dropping of apparently redundant entries like "Model" from the XMP section of the jpg metadata.<br>

Interesting.<br>

Not wrong, but I'm not usually surprised by lightroom.</p>