How do some of you deal with lateness?

jose_rivera9

<p>Hey all, Just giving a little background on myself. I have been doing Wedding and other social events for about four and half years.<br>

The last few events I have been hired for I dealt with serious lateness. My contract stipulated my start and end time, but my packages offer my services for x-amount of hours. I have not been late as I always show up at least 45 minutes before my schedule time just in case.<br>

Now, my clients have been on average 45 minutes to 1.5 hours late. I did not charge them extra but I kept to my time allotment. One client seemed a little upset when I told her that my time was up but if she needed me to stay I would have to charge her per hour.<br>

Yesterday, my client was having a wardrobe problem and then was stuck on one of NYC's highways for an hour. I wasn't too upset but I still kept to the schedule time which was fine with her mother. <br>

I guess I want to know how do others handle this situation?</p>

<p>Sometimes I'd guess you'll be able to keep stuff like that in reserve. Maybe you don't charge extra for the tardiness, but later when the couple asks for something at a reduced cost, you say "ordinarily, I'd be glad to consider it, but I've already logged 60 minutes of unpaid overtime from the wedding."<br>

A week or less before to a time-based event I always remind the people involved that the package they bought includes x number of hours, so it's important to start at the contracted time. That way, no one can claim they weren't aware or that they forget in all the chaos of the planning.<br>

How you handle it might depend on why things got started late. If it's outright irresponsibility - and especially if you have even the slightest little thing to do afterward - I can't see a reason in the world why you wouldn't charge for the extra time. But, if in the case of the woman stuck in NYC traffic, perhaps leniency is in order - although heavy New York City traffic can't catch any resident of the area by surprise.</p>

<p>For the client to be upset with you when she was the one who was late, she's in the wrong. That said, I basically set the limits and decide on my own whether or not to stay. If things are going well and I like the people and I am able to stay, I might do so with the client's understanding that I am not obligated to do so. </p>

<p>Some extra time is always built into my offerings. If I'm to stop at 9pm, for instance, if I stay til 9:45, I'm OK with that. I tell the client I am lenient but I tell them 15 minutes. Beyond that, I talk to them about overtime. If I see that things are way behind, I talk to them about 1/2 hour before the scheduled stop time, and often work out a plan to get all the photo op activities done, even knowing they aren't going to finish by the scheduled time anyway. At least this gets them moving toward a goal.</p>

<p>Even so, you have to exercise judgement in the reasons for lateness. I would have more sympathy for the bride with got stuck in traffic but not if her wardrobe problem was due to her own lack of planning. People are all over the map when it comes to realistic time management.</p>

<p>This is why a thorough discussion about planning and expectations is important before the actual day. In helping plan the photo schedule, I often find that clients have a totally unrealistic idea of how things happen--not just the photo session--but the entire thing. You've got to give it your best shot (explaining the importance of logistics and timing), since sometimes, it makes a difference--some people will get it--and at least if you do, you can later remind them that you did.</p>

<p>I have always been lenient when it comes to staying to get the job done. In the case with the client who became upset, the clock was nearing midnight, and photo wise, the shots were limited. I had the staged shots of the cake cutting and did the family group shots (this took a half hour) and then I said my good byes. <br>

thanks for the responses. Have you noticed that the lateness is becoming a trend?</p>

<p>It depends on how you value *Goodwill* from a past customer. You could pack up and leave when time is up: if that bride determines you did not cover her wedding in the photography department -- she may pass along the not-so-good outcome to her friends, family, and maybe even the Internet (i.e., Facebook.)</p>

<p>Good *Goodwill* has no limits. The other side of the coin may reduce your time in shooting future weddings.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nope. Lateness has always been a problem, in all the years I've photographed weddings. Some cultures are worse than others. You just deal with it. In some cases, no matter how I try to educate clients re starting late (this is usually the getting ready part with the bride), it makes no difference. Might as well be talking to the air. With other brides, it makes a difference, so gotta try anyway.</p>

<p>Jose, this is why I work with them on a fairly detailed schedule before a contract is ever signed. I explain to them the repercussions of being late. I also pad the schedule up front anticipating lateness. For example, the couple had figured 5 minutes for their receiving line at the church. I flat out told them, that while they may think it will only take that long, that will be the first time most of their guests will get to see them that day, and that we'd be lucky if the receiving line lasted only 20 minutes. Same thing, I've had girls say it'll just take me 5 minutes to get into my dress. I ask them what type of dress they have, is it a simple zipper closure, or is it a corsetted back, or is it one where you have to button it up from the top to the bottom, that you need a special tool to close it. People tend to be VERY unrealistic with how long things will take. If you take the time to go over this with them in advance, it is much more likely to go smoothly that day, and they will appreciate it in the end. Hope that helps!</p>

<p>I meet with the bride or couple before the wedding, and we work out a schedule. I tell them and my contract clearly states the times for photography coverage, and what the hourly rate is if they want me to stay later than planned. I would estimate that 90% of my clients end up running more than a few minutes late, so I try to anticipate how to deal with it. I also tell the brides-to-be that all of my clients think they are going to be on time, and almost all of them end up being late. It doesn't really help, I guess. :)</p>

<p>I photographed one wedding for a friend where the bride was still in the kitchen frosting her cake when she was supposed to be getting ready. Her sister finally had to drag her to get ready, and the ceremony ended up starting about an hour late. I always tell my clients that I'm not going to run out the second my coverage ends if something is happening, and I give a half hour notice before my time is up as well. Almost every wedding I have photographed has been behind schedule for at least part of it, like Matt, I tell my clients that they are most likely going to run behind schedule. I consider injecting a little reality into my clients' timeline part of my job-I have had a number of couples that were getting ready at 1:00 for a 2:30 ceremony and wanted to do all the formals before the ceremony.</p>

<p>I have this pro friend of mine who had this special where he arrived at the wedding 10 minutes before the wedding started. He could blow through poses like magic ! He produced a small package with limited poses, but all were perfect. He never had to worry about anybody being late. He made a killing doing that. He would photo about 4 weddings/day.</p>

<p>To see this from another side, I've shot weddings in University Chapels that book multiple weddings per day. The officials there keep a rigid schedule and it is explained in advance to the wedding couple. I recall the college official telling me when I was taking Altar shots that I had 10 minutes to complete and vacate the premises. On a busy weekend a bride 45 minutes to an hour late could possibly miss her own wedding.</p>

<p>I think its good to be prepared for some time flux on a wedding day. I have rarely been to a wedding that started AND finished on time. So I recommend being a little less worried about the exact timing.</p>

<p>However, if you end up more than say 30 - 45 mins past your contracted time, you may want to ask if they still want you to stay, adding that there will be an extra charge for the added time if they would like you to stay. I usually approach this by going to them ahead of the time I think reasonable to stay over, and mentioning that I will be preparing to leave soon, and are there any other photos they really want before you go.</p>

<p>Not everyone is perfectly happy, but most clients are very nice about it all. </p>

<p>I have always had very clear starting and ending times. This way the number of hours isn't confused with the ending time. Overtime "if available" as stated in the contrat is charged by the half-hour, so if it's an extra 15 minutes, I won't charge, but if it's an extra 35-40 minutes, I do, but with approval.</p>