Bridge Camera Opinions

<p>Any thoughts on, or experience with, these:<br>

Nikon Coolpix P5000<br>

Canon SX30<br>

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100<br>

Sony DSC HX 100V (either not released, or just out in some markets)<br>

Interested in experience with shutter lag, ease-of-use, image quality. Leaning toward the Panasonic or Sony because they both have viewfinders, albeit electronic.</p>

<p>I find the EVF to be superior to an optical finder or ground glass ... but I am happy to use Auto Focus in spot mode to find focus. As with most things there are situations, rare, where it doesn't work that well. I can only remember one situation where I have to admit shutter lag [ or rather finding focus ] stopped me getting a shot as a bird very close to me flew from branch to branch. I have a good editing programme and complete the process with that and all things being equal I can print to 12x15ins. I got out my DSLR a day or two ago and it simply doesn't match up with my bridge camera ergonomically .... but I'm not sure the FZ100 is a step forward from my FZ50. Panasonic used to fit 'constant' lens to the 'big' FZ series but with the FZ100 the lens is no better than the average DSLR or 4/3 lens closing down as you zoom out ... why I have not bothered to 'upgrade', rather picked up a second FZ50 as 'life' insurance. Though for what it does better my Nikon Coolpix 5700 is still in operation seven years down the track. But I don't take that many photos and none of my cameras have reached 10,000 frames, the 5700 is close. A swing and tilt LCD is very handy when on a tripod in the studio situationsand for low and high angle shots, so long as it folds away neatly when using the EVF. Nikon got it right with the 5700.</p>

The Nikon P500 has an electronic viewfinder, as does the Fuji HS20, which I would buy over the FZ100 or HX100V. The HS20 has manual zoom instead of motor zoom for better feel, and is around the same price. That said, the Fuji S100fs has not been surpassed by any newer bridge camera for image quality, and is available (used) for a song. Shutter lag is short, but AF is not fast enough for birds in flight.

Note I said S100fs, which is a newer model than the S1000. Shutter lag [imaging-resource.com] is .51 to .808 second, faster than most Canon P&S models, and you have to cut it some slack because the long end is 400mm. AF tracking is an area where DSLRs reign. Speaking of which, I compared S100fs images to the new Tamron 18-270 PZD (in front of a Canon 7D) and the S100fs images are superior.