Putting Classics through their paces...

<p>Leaving to raft the Grand Canyon this Sunday. I'll be 16 days and 230 miles on the water. I was originally going to be kayaking as part of a private trip. That trip was cancelled... I found another trip, but they needed somebody to man an oar-raft (18' long, 8' wide, two oars, used like the oars on a rowboat). I've never set foot in one, as they're a Western kind of boat, but I've been kayaking whitewater at a high skill level for 25 years. The outfitters, and other raft guides, assure me that it's simple to go from experienced kayaker to runing an oar-raft through the Grand Canyon, and that other kayakers with zero raft experience do it all the time as well. So I'm in...</p>

<p>Reason for this post is that after examing my photography options in the Canyon, old Classics are a big part of my gear. Reason: a small solar charger can power my small digital point-n-shoot submersible camera, assuming strong sun each day for a few hours. But we may have rain, or overcast skies.</p>

<p>So in my drybag will be over 30 rolls of 120 film, and probably 40 rolls of 35mm.<br>

<br />Then the cameras:</p>

<p>Argus C3<br />Olympus XA<br />Widelux FV<br />Ciro-Flex F<br />Zeiss Ikon Ikonta</p>

<p>I figure for each type of film, I have a main camera and a backup camera. The XA made the list thanks to having a meter (I'll also have a small handheld meter - redundancy is the theme), and to being my first camera, bought new in 1982. The Widelux, my only expensive camera on the trip, made the grade because it produces such unique photos. The other cameras on the list are my B-string old cameras and not worth much; my Rollei TLR's are a bit too nice for me to risk.</p>

<p>I wasn't thrilled about the raft, at first. Kinda scary to learn a new boat at the put-in. But then I got to thinking about the photo opps a raft would afford. I'll have a mentor to teach me the finer points of rowing a raft in whitewater for the first 90 miles, and we'll swap rowing duties as I learn, so I'll have lots of photo opps while passengering.</p>

<p>I expect these old cameras have plenty of life left in them, for what I want to use them for.</p>

<p>Yes, have fun. Someday, I may get up the courage to take a donkey ride down into the canyon since my skill level with kayaks and rafts is definitely zero. ;)</p>

<p>I'm especially interested in seeing what you get with the Widelux. :)</p>

<p>Thanks, all. Will share on my return. I'm also already envisioning what a Widelux could do in the Canyon... shots of my rowing partner Steve in the flatwater stuff, and shots at camp, and on daily hikes.</p>

<p>JDM, the walk is nice down Bright Angel Trail. But strenuous. I've gone in from the top, about 1.5 miles. You drop 1200' in that 1.5 miles. It was the most strenuous hike I'd ever done up to that point, until a week later when we did a tougher one in Utah.</p>

<p>Marcel, I'm nervous about learning the new skill, but if I really thought it wasn't going to work out, I'd stay home. :):)</p>

<p>I may in fact try to get out there next fall, early.</p>

<p>I do know from long hiking experience that going down hill is not always easy, but the donkey idea was more in consideration of going back <em>up</em> the trail. During my current brief (likely given my reaction to Matt's puppy pictures) spell of petlessness, I am going to try to get to some of the landmarks I haven't hit so far. ;)</p>

<p>Chuck, thanks! I've got a hunch the film cameras will be used quite a bit. My little digital point-n-shoot can't do long exposures with the shutter open to do star trails, and it can't do what my Widelux does so well (those cool single-shot panos), and the medium-format gear does still hold an edge over digital for total size. So on wet hikes, I'll take the submersible digi and Nikonos. On dry hikes, I'll take the digital and the Widelux and the Ciro-Flex. And water!</p>