photographing birds in a marsh - what blind to use

andr_s_z_t_nyi

Dear People!

I would like to photograph birds in a marsh. The water conditions

vary from knee-deep to chest-deep, and sometimes there is only mud.

I'm limited to 300 mmm @ f/5.6 (95% of the time on a Manfrotto 055),

so I'll have to work from a blind. The desired position would be

close to water level (with maybe some chance to photograph from a

higher perspective).

What sort of a blind would you build in my place?

Is it possible to create a (semi-) permananent structure that can be

left out for months at a time?

Or maybe a floating blind would be the solution? If yes, then how

should I build one?

Thank You for all your comments.

András Zétényi

I personally haven't done this myself, but a really neat one I saw used an inner-tube with a structure attached to it. The photographer wears waders and as long as the water isn't too deep he/she can move around slowly and get very close to waterfowl. I saw some really great Grebe shots taken with this setup.

Andras,

i utilize both methods that you are enquiring into. I find i have more success with a "floating blind" as it offers more flexibility in one not being tied to a single location.

In researching, i looked closely at fishermens float tubes. Here in Western Canada there are many to choose from, but none could be purchased without some sort of modification. I lucked into a fellow who built custom float tubes for local fishermen. His designs came covered in a variety of cordura colors, i chose a standard army camoflage & ordered extra pockets for photo stuff & a more adjustable harness.

For camera support i cut out of "3/4 plywood a tube fitting support that strapped onto the front of the tube. It is painted (to repel water) & attached to it is a sturdy ballhead. A wire frame is hinged on top of the float tube & is covered with camoflage netting.

Naturally, a pair of chest waders is needed to make this setup work & particular attention has to be paid to making your camoflage netting match as closely as possible the habitat you are working in.

Good Luck, it's a lot of fun (& double check that no black equipment cords are hanging out of the pockets) ;-)

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....

www.davidcrossley.com

Andras,

If you check the nature archives there are several photos and

instructions on how to do this. I'm not profficient in giving links or

I would link you to it. They are under my name if that helps.

Let me know if you need any help asd this is my favorite type of

photography

Ch

Andras,

Tim Fitzharris talks about a couple types in his book, "The Audubon Society Guide to Nature Photography." For one type he uses hula hoops for the frame covered by camo cloth. It is a collapsible type supported by shoulder mounted poles and you kneel in hip waders in shallow water.

I saw another one which was a platform with rigid foam board. You sit on the platform and surround yourself with cattails tied together for the blind with a hole for the lens.

I built my own rectangular blind with camo and poly pipe. My wife sewed the cloth to fit the blind and I'd haul it around for use. It was pitiful to assemble and I never got anything substantial from it.

I've been intrigued by Leonard Lee Rue's Ultimate Blind that supposedly sets up in 30 seconds but never seem to be able to work it into my budget.

Finally, there are always many places to photograph birds and animals without one, albeit some of Fitzharris's blind shots are impressive and I now have a 500mm. Your 300 would be great for either bigger birds or many mammals.

Good luck,<div>003y4Z-10050484.JPG.773250801d1124b3755145223dca25d0.JPG</div>

I use a really cool little duck boat for both hunting and photography. Boat is 10 ft. long, 38 inches wide, 65 pounds, camo colored, and is the best thing there is for getting around sloughs and lakes (don't recommend it for rocky bottom or fast flowing rivers.) It floats in as little as four inches of water, is very stable, and highly maneuverable with a kayak paddle. I can easily strap it into the bed of my pickup truck, and I have dragged the boat for up to a mile before to get to the water. Mine is a Carstens Boats (the puddler) from Melrose MN, but there are lots of other makes. I believe Old Towne makes a nice little camo kayak called the "surveyor" that would work as well too. Not quite as wide or long, but weighs about 40 pounds I think. I built a little blind to fit over mine that is especially effective for shooting wary ducks on public hunting areas.

Kent in SD