Telephoto lens

dennis_hudgins

<p>There are multiple versions of manual focus 300mm f4.5 lenses out there. Bjorn Rorslett basically says they're pretty good except for the "H" versions. I'm not a fan of mirror lenses so I'd stay away from them. If you can go up to $700 you can get a 300 f2.8.</p>

<p>How long a focal length do you want? Are you looking to buy used or must it be new? Does it need to auto focus or can it be manual focus? There's plenty of good lenses out there...give us a little more info.</p>

<p>I bought a 300 mm f/4 AF-D lens on Craig's List for $550 a couple of years ago. Perfect condition, and an excellent lens. I use it on a D200 and F100 body, on both of which if focuses quickly and accurately. My usual subjects are gliders and airplanes.</p>

<p>In general, no one can really answer your question without knowing what features you have to have and what model body you are using.</p>

<p>The 70-300mm VR lens, used, would fit in your price range.</p>

<p>If you don't care about AF, there are often bargains on Reflex-Nikkor 500mm mirror lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Another shout for the 70-300 VR. You might be tempted to go for an ED version if you're really stumped for cash, but I would try and resist - the VR works very well, and it's sharp wide open out to 200mm. Your mileage out to 300mm may vary a little, but it's still very good. For what this is, and in comparison to other lenses, it really is a steal, especially a refurb or an ex+ -condition 2nd hand.<br>

You might be hard pressed to get a prime at this price point.</p>