Filters and airport scanning equipment.

adrian_wilson9

<p>Hi,<br>

I have just received an ND8 filter from the States into the UK, the filter is manufactured by Vivitar and appears fine, except when you examine it in a certain light it reveals a banding effect, looking like it has been subjected to some form of heat process that has affected to filter. I have heard about high powered scanners employing searching radiation to detect certain items and that these scanners could also be detrimental to certain goods in transit. Anyone any experience or knowledge of these scanners or if in fact they could affect optical equipment. I will try and get some images up of the problem, looks at first sight that the glass is contaminated with oil but further examination says not.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Adrian.</p>

<p>On occasion I have included in checked luggage filters of all kinds, as well as binoculars, loupes, contact lenses, spare eyeglasses, and even, rarely, a camera lens. They have never been damaged in any way, nor have I ever read of the higher-powred X-rays ever having an impact on optical equipment.</p>

<p>In my experience, Vivitar is not known for making (or supplying?) quality filters, so what you're seeing could simply be from the manufacturing process.</p>