version over the regular Black M6 TTL? Is the black paint finish more

rugged?

There is a $500 rebate right now with the paint version and a $200

rebate with the regular. So I can get the paint one for about $1800 on

Leica Day (12/4 @ Photo Village), but this is still quite a bit higher

than the regular black M6. I'll be getting a black 35/2 lens at the

same time.

Is the paint version worth the extra bucks in your opinion? I'll

probably be using the camera quite a bit.

Thanks!

Ray,

There's been a lot of discussion about the LHSA Black Paint M6. A few threads are listed below:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=002nrD

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=002ent

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003eCG

A few points to consider: (1) Cosmetic: The black paint finish shows grease marks etc from your hands and face like nobody's business. (2) Willingness to use: Are you willing to pick up a few battle scars on this puppy, or would it stay at home? (3) Investment: Unlike other limited edition M cameras, there seems to be an oversupply of the LHSA Black Paint models (why else would they have a rebate?). This probably won't be considered all that scarce in the future.

I too had a brief lust after one of these suckers (0.85 finder). Then I came to my senses and picked up a user M3 for the larger magnification. The cash saved has gone into vacation, film and other things. Ironically I enjoy using my M3 far more than my other body - a black chrome M6 TTL (0.72). But that's another story.

Ultimately, it's your call. The black paint models are purty, but only you can decide if they're worth the price premium.

Cheers,

Stuart

Same camera, different finish. The value placed on the black paint vs black chrome finish is a holdover from the M2/3/4 days when the black finish was the exception to the rule. Thus, it is more prized by collectors.

Some people like the way the black paint finish show wear (brassing) vs the way the black chrome wears. Leica introduced the black chrome as a more durable finish. I'd save the money or invest it in film.

Ray,

As Richard said above, nothing, unless the shooter thinks self-esteem will enhance his/her images.

Suspect the need for rebates, at least in part, are due to the fact that it was born in 2000 as a non-identical twin with the Millennium Black Paint edition. The retro styled Millennium, with M1,2,3 style wind and rewind levers, "Auf-Zu" base plate, and limited to 2000 produced appears to have relagated rge LHSA to step-child status. It appears to have blown away the LHSA. At least that's what the rebates would indicate.

Although born at the same time, it had a different Father in the LHSA. They commissioned its conception, and attempted to sell it to the membership with a sales pitch that included it would be sold exclusively to them only.

Opinion varies as to whether Leica over produced the issue, or that the LHSA under sold it. Probably only the pricipals know for sure and perhaps even only Leica knows. At any rate, the the LHSA buyers "stayed away in droves" as they say, and todays rebates result.

Coupled with that recently has been the M7 introduction, depleting the available pennies of many leicaphiles, and the sure knowledge that near on the horizon is a 50th anniversery M. You'll probably be able to get one in each finish, consectutively numbered for Oh, say 10 grand or so. They'll be limited and gone in a flash.

After the dust subsides from that I'd predict that everyday M7s in black paint will probably be a catalog item. They'd be foolish not to as the demand is there and I think they see that now.

I have mixed emotions on the whole subject of "commemoratives". One of the side benefits of using a Leica is not only the results but tje use itself. Pretty as they may be, it seems a shame to deny them their reason for being.

Then again they are undoubtedly a high margin item that allows the company to keep going though. Thats more important in my view.

Best,

Jerry

I'm thinking about buying a LHSA body - I'm wondering about the durability of the finish. I had a black Nikon Ftn (till it was removed from my house by a burgler) and still have a black Nikon FM2. Both show/showed slight brassing on the corners but held up remarkably well otherwise. I wonder if the LHSA finish will be as durable or if it is inferior to the black on brass finish of the Nikons, etc.

No functional differences.

The black paint is NOT more rugged than black chrome, quite the opposite - it is specifically designed for people who WANT their cameras to eventually show brass around the edges like the old used 60s black M3/M4s - or for people who want it to look good while it sits in a glass display case.

Personally when I got my Leica Day deals on M6ttls 2 weeks ago I had the option of getting black-paint versions, and with the big discount they weren't that much more expensive (and the store WAS offering the 10% as well as the $500 rebate).

Decided I actually preferred the black-chrome as a new finish - the black paint has a faint grayish quality - and that I am perfectly happy with how the chrome 'wears' to an industrial/gunmetal look.

If I got the black-paints I'd have to 'stone-wash' them in the drier to get the brass showing soon enough.

Do you use the Leica as a photo-taking apparatus, or do you value its looks and the cute factor. I find the prettier the equipment, the more diminishing return in its value for taking pictures. Personally the best of my pictures came from a couple of "user" Ms that look all beatup, but boy I am indeed liberated without letting the camera get in the way.

Brassing around the edges from normal wear might look "cool" on black-paint, but scratches look like crap. The silver chrome finish wears the best of any. They also reflect heat better if you're outdoors in the sun a lot. I choose the black chrome bodies because they make me look like a pro ;>)

These modern day black paint limited edition bodies scratch and brass very

fast. Leica probably did not expect they are to be used. Is it worth the extra

premium? I have the same LHSA M6/Summicron combo and it is my user. It

costs about the same as a new 905SWC so with this perspective in mind and

in hindsight I would say NO.