New to film photography (from digital) and need camera recommendations...

darya_a1

<p>Since the 120 SLR came up, I have a Bronica SQ-Ai with both waist level and eye level finders. it shoots in the square 6 x 6 format on 120/220 film. The Bronica is a no-nonsense solid box that works easily and simply enough that it takes two minutes to learn. But, it really is a big box once you mount the lens. Not so much heavy as just large. I had to get the optional "pistol grip film advance & shutter release" to be able to really use mine without a tripod. With the grip, I have taken it out on all kinds of shoots.</p>

<p>I'll put in a plug for square format here. The obvious advantage is that you never have to twist the camera up 90-degrees to put it in vertical mode! Square brings a certain kind of ease to many compositions too. I enjoy it after so many 35mm frames.</p>

<p>I bought my Bronica kit at keh.com and it was exceedingly fair priced, and in superb condition marked as "ex."</p><div>00YhKV-356541584.jpg.892b3c85d21b8cba9eb947ab0a1658f2.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>What about a Leica?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Great cameras. Fantastic lenses. Not a good choice for a first film camera.</p>

<p>Buy a Nikon N80 from keh.com for your existing lenses - about $40 plus shipping. It will do 99% of what a M7 can and many things that the Leica can't. Shoot lots of film, mindfully. At this point it may dawn that it's mostly not about the equipment. Upon this eventuality, blowing $6k on a M7 and a lens or two is a great idea (although I personally think the Zeiss Ikon and a 35mm f2 Biogon is nicer.)</p>

<p>I have used a fully manual Pentax MX since 1980 and have had no need to switch to another film SLR. I have SMC-M 50 mmm f1.4, SMC-M 28mm f2.8, SMC-M 135 mm f3.5, SMC-M 35-70 mm f2.8-f3.5, SMC-M 80-200 mm f4.5 lenses. I have had no need to purchase any other film equipment since the early eighties - besides 35 mm film. They all work perfectly to this day. The lenses are all K-mount of course and will work on any Pentax digital SLR (in manual mode). Hold a Pentax MX in your hand and you will see what I mean - the MX is the finest SLR (including digital) ever made by Asahi Pentax. A Pentax is not a "professional" SLR like a Nikon or Canon but is just as good (I used to own a Canon FTb before I purchased the Pentax MX).</p>

<p>Darya, the Nikon F100 has been mentioned a few times here, and I am going to continue that recommendation. The two lenses you mention will work well on it, and I think you will be pleased. They are a real bargain at $150, and well worth $200-250 in mint condition. Enjoy.</p>

<p>It is hard to go wrong with an N80 as long as you are using modern lenses, and the F100 is the best Nikon<br>

SLR ever built short of the F6, which is unaffordable to me. Unless you have very special needs, the F100 and N80 are superior to the F4 and F5.</p>

<p>The F5 and F4 are great cameras but they weigh a ton.</p>

• 5 months later...
<p>I finally decided on an F80. I think the F100 may be too heavy from what everyone says. I am really excited!! Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I cannot wait for it to arrive. I'm just wondering if my 24-70 2.8 will be too heavy on it? I think the 50 1.4 will work great though. </p>