Should my client inform publications about a photo credit?

<p>I recently was hired by a CEO for some business-type shots for eventual use in various publications who have been interviewing him about his business.<br>

My question is, is it his responsibility to ask the publishers if they will include a photo credit with my name, or is this something most publishers automatically check for (or don't bother with entirely)? I know there are schools of thought that the credit isn't super important, so I'm not stressing over it, just more curious.</p>

<p>I haven't had much publishing experience, so hopefully some of you good folks know a bit more. He has signed a model release stating that commercial use of the photo needs prior permission. </p>

Thanks J, that will definitely be something I'll look to do in the future. However my more immediate question, which in

turn would be the content of that contract, is it a standard to ask your client to always inform the publisher, or will

publishers typically try to make sure they have that info (presumably to cover themselves)?

<p>The point is that there isn't a simple answer. Some photographers will insist that the license terms require a photo credit. Others will not. Some will retain copyright, others will transfer it. All of these variables, and many others, combine to effect how much you charge your client for the product, rights and licenses you deliver.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>All my photos contain details for copyright in the metadata, so it should be good then.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good for what? Does the metadata spell out what licensing rights the client has? Does it spell out other contractal terms (which aren't copyright terms) which apply to the client only? What if the metadata is stripped and so on? Metadata is useful but its no the be all and end all.</p>

<p>John, you are absolutely right, but then what do you suggest alternatively?<br>

<br /> You know, the question I asked which only Craig has really come close to answering is: in a situation where the client is giving that photo to a publisher, should it be the client's responsibility to inform them there should be a credit or is it the publisher's responsibility to ask if there should be one?<br>

<br /> I am asking because when I build contracts like this, I want to know if it's feasible to spell out that he should really be doing that, or simply mentioning to him, that potential publishers might ask, and here is the info they will need.<br /> This is really and truly a hypothetical of how have you handled this in the past yourself, or how would you were you in that situation?<br>

<br /> I appreciate that metadata can't do everything, but according to my original question, Craig mentioning that art directors do tend to check for it is by and far the closest thing yet to an answer to what I asked.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I asked which only Craig has really come close to answering is: in a situation where the client is giving that photo to a publisher, should it be the client's responsibility to inform them there should be a credit or is it the publisher's responsibility to ask</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps my suggestion about burdening portrait clients with requirements in interacting with third parties was too subtle. Others may reasonably disagree but I recommend not going that route. Potential clients may decline to accept such responsibilities and therefore decline hiring you. Photo crediting for a mere portrait is overrated. But again, others may find it of some value.</p>

<p>No, it wasn't too subtle. I understood loud and clear and appreciate that feedback. However, I'm asking about "A" and "B" and you're talking about "C".<br>

<br /> In my original post, I even say:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know there are schools of thought that the credit isn't super important, so I'm not stressing over it, just more curious.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really I've already made up my mind on this particular client, it's all said and done. If an art director sees it and wants to include it, than I'm happy, if not, than I'm happy as well. It's not that big a deal to me, I was just curious what others have done, again, out of the "A" and "B" pool. I get that a lot of people go the "C" route, including myself.<br>

<br /> Feel free to let this thread die now, it's gotten a little too derailed from it's original intent. Thanks again for your responses though.</p>