G12 worth $100 more than P7000?

<p>I'm trying to get my significant other a camera for her to take on hikes and have narrowed it down to the Canon G12 and Nikon P7000. Both have 1/1.7" sensors and start at 28mm with the Canon ending at 140mm and the Nikon ending at 200mm. She needs someting to take out quickly and shoot without having to carry her DSLR with her. Anyway, I've seen the Nikon P7000 sell for $399 while the Canon G12 for $499. In reading some reviews it seems that the Canon is better overall but I was wondering if the price diferrence is justified. She will be using most of her photos to create slideshows of her hikes and print a few as big as 14" X 21". She presently uses a Canon S70 and likes an optical viewfinder without having to take out her reading glasses to use the LCD.</p>

<p>depends on who you talk to. some reviews say the nikon has better IQ. personally, i think the extra 60mm is a big point in the nikon's favor, but then i'm a nikon shooter. another plus is the external flash options. if you do get the p7000, make sure to download the firmware update.</p>

<p>Have you looked at the Canon S95 for something very light and small for hiking? You should be able to get prints that size if your technique is good and it shoots RAW, which is a nice option. I just got one and take it everywhere because it is so convenient--skiing, hiking, cycling, etc.</p>

S95 lacks optical viewfinder, Daniel.

Principal downside of the P7000 is slow menu operation, but autofocus is actually faster than the G12. Personally I would get the P7000 for better telephoto, even at the same price, unless I had Canon flash accessories.

<p>p7000 is very underrated. ive been a g series shooter for years and have used many cameras in the past. nikon has a winner here and i myself want a p7000 but have money issues right now. point in favor is longer reach and better optical vf. a plus for canon may be the hinged lcd. i like the fact the nikon has the added flexibilty of added controls to be accessed via dials. ll</p>

<p>I own the P7000, and I like it very much. While it doesn't AF as fast as my Nikon DSLR does, it is mostly fast enough for me. Image quality is superb. I especially love the high-res LCD screen. It has a wide enough viewing angle so that I don't feel the need for an articulating screen, I shoot from the hip very often with good results. I also like the long zoom, which I use often. Movie audio quality is superb, and you have the option to plug in an external mic if you need even better sound. I don't find the menu operation slow, I do love the EV adjustment dial right at my thumb where I can use it quickly, and the light to turns on to alert the user it is not set to 0 is a fantastic feature, as I've taken it out of the bag a few times and saw it was on because of the light. The function menu dial at the top is nice too, and once in the function menu, it's easy to tab around to the other areas, you don't need to turn the dial to get there. I can recommend the P7000!</p>

<p>Worth $100 difference? Probably not, but that may reflect demand more than anything. DPReview's review will tell a lot of other differences between the two cameras as well as some of their similarities, which is definitely well worth reading before making a decision. There is a noticeable difference in the scores for the two cameras with the G12 coming out with a higher rating. I'm a huge fan of the G12 and find that it's probably the camera I use most. Most reviews seem to indicate that the IQ is about the same from both cameras with some of the typical Nikon vs. Canon differences in processing. As nice as the screen on the P7000 is, the articulating screen on the G12 makes a big difference in a lot of situations; it's a lot handier than you might think if you've never used one. The layout of the camera is wonderful, which may be why the P7000's design mimics the G-series so closely. Bottom line though, you can't go wrong with either camera. Read up on both and then decide which is best. For me the G12 is definitely the choice but the P7000 would make sense for a lot of other people. DPReview's review of both cameras is a good place to start.</p>

<p>B&H has the P7000 for $399 currently. I paid $379 for mine at B&H a few months ago, well worth it in my opinion. I remember paying $699 for a Canon Powershot Pro1 back in December 2004, and I like the P7000 much better.</p>