Vivitar 28mm f2

gnashings

<p>Fortified with my recent (first, and only...) successful foray into lens "repair", I dug out a Viv 28mm that long ago started giving me troubles.<br>

It would stop down to a certain aperture (about f11 I would guess), no matter what I had dialed in.<br>

This started happening suddenly, and I found no rhyme or reason as to why. <br>

At rest, the lens would sit nicely wide open as it should - but should I try to make an exposure, no matter what, it would stop down. Also, it would do this with DOF preview.<br>

I opened the back, found everything I could see to be working nicely, all little springs and things connected. I also found a very small little spring floating about, inside the lens, all forlorn. Its about 1.5x5mm or so, and I have NO idea where it came from. I put the lens together and gave up for now... The spring is sitting in an empty film canister, taunting me...</p>

<p>Any ideas? I got the lens for $10 at a garage sale, and it was working at the time. No matter what, I got my money's worth out of it and found it to actually be a rather nice optic. If this sounds familiar and anyone knows how to fix it, I'd be grateful for any info that may lead to a successful repair. If not, thanks anyhow,</p>

<p>Peter.</p>

<p>I think that little spring is what creates the tension to open and close the aperture. I could be wrong, but I recall seeing a spring attached to the aperture levers inside of the FD 100mm f/2.8 I opened up.</p>

<p>Abram - therein lies the mystery (well, to my untrained eye anyway), not wanting to break anything more than it already is, I inspected the lens carefully, and all the springs that I am accustomed to seeing, or that could be logically extrapolated from various attachment points, seem to be in tact, attached and working. This one appears to be a spring that works on compression, as it has no loops on the end, and I can't find where it goes... I guess this one is just beyond my ability to fix it. Too bad, it was a nice lens while it worked:)</p>

<p>Carl, the serial # is 22113567. I was actually wondering that myself - I know the SN's for the series 1 zoom lenses, but I was not sure how that relates to my WA. Anyhow, I appreciate your offer, it would be of great help and I thank you in advance. If I get it to work, I'll write it up and hope it may help someone else.</p>