Implications of switching from 7n (film) to 50D

paul_heagen

<p>I have an intriguing opportunity to trade in my 7n for a 50D at a good price. <br>

Here is the question(s):<br>

I don't want to reinvest in a bunch of new lenses. Do my current AF lenses work with the 50D? Also, one of me favorite creative lenses is my 17-40 zoom. I know I will lose some of the wide-angle view going to digital. but I don't want to spend the $$ right now to get a true super wide angle for the digital. Will the 17-40 still offer some drama in a digital set-up?<br>

Also, one of the reasons I stayed with film for a while is that I liked the resolution and assumed it would be hard to match that in digitial. the 50D is 15M -- is that roughly equivalent to what I get today shooting ASA200 with my 7n?<br>

Thanks for any help. I know it is time to move on to digital, but I just want to make sure I have a clear view.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>All Canon EF and EF-S (which you likely don't have yet, coming from film) lenses will work fine on the 50D.</p>

<p>17mm on the 50D is equivalent to 27mm on your 7n. My 17-40 serves as a normal zoom on the 50D. </p>

<p>If you like the field of view you get with your film camera, why not look for a used 5D (mark 1)? As a full frame camera it will have the same field of view you are used to, and it is still an excellent camera.</p>

<p>All Canon EF lenses will work with the 50D. Most 3rd party lenses will work, but some older Sigma lenses may need to visit a Sigma repair facility to be re-chipped to work with the 50D. You can contact Sigma directly.</p>

<p>[[the 50D is 15M -- is that roughly equivalent to what I get today shooting ASA200 with my 7n?]]</p>

<p>There is no direct connection. The better question is: how big are your prints from film? </p>

<p>Ditto what the other guys said... but I think the crop is going to be a bigger issue than you expect. It may very well ruin the 50D for you. If you like the creative capability you have w/ the 17-40 on 35mm, you'll need a 10/11mm wide zoom to match it. To me this is the single biggest downside to APS-C. 17 -> 27 at the widest just plain sucks. The good news is that several of the UWA crop lenses are not only very reasonable in cost, but equiv. in IQ to the canon 10-22. (though IME, still a step down from the 17-40). If you have a reasonable stable of lenses already, I'd expect an UWA crop sensor lens to be first on your list.</p>

<p>I personally find anything that is 8MP and above to be as good as "film", but some really picky pixel-peepers (aka, "see 3 P o" ) think the dividing line is 10 or even 12 MP. In any case, the 50D is well above that point.</p>

<p>As noted, the 50D will take any Canon EF lens. As also indicated, almost all third-party lenses will work except for a few from the really early days of the EOS format. This is rarer than the chatter about it.</p>

<p>The main thing you will note is that your lenses become more "telephoto-ish" on the smaller format (the 1.6X business), so you might want to add something in the 10 to 20mm range to get some real wide-angle back.</p>

<p>Paul,<br />I went from a 7e to the 50D and haven't had one regret. However, although I shoot about anything, my main goal is Wildlife, so the 1.6X crop factor can be to my advantage at times.</p>

<p>Someone previously recommended getting one of the full frame 5D's, possibly a used one. I think you should give that idea some serious consideration.</p>

<p>I maintain my film bodies (Elan 7e & EOS 3), but I would have to admit, . . . I rarely use them. And if the 5D Mk II would have been out when I bought my 50D, . . . that's what I'd have now.</p>

<p>Best wishes whatever the decision!</p>

<p>I don't think you're going to like the perspective of your 17-40mm lens on that crop-sensor body. If your favorite lens were longer, then I might not have reservations, but if you like a wide-angle for your creative work, then you'll be disappointed with that lens on that body. Why not buy the 5D MkII? That's full-frame and your lenses will work just as you expect them to.</p>

<p>There's a bit of a learning curve with shooting RAW and doing your post processing, but it's worth the effort because of the greater flexibility you gain, as if you had your own lab.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I personally find anything that is 8MP and above to be as good as "film", but some really picky pixel-peepers (aka, "see 3 P o" ) think the dividing line is 10 or even 12 MP.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>JDM, I have always thought that 20MP is the resolution "equivalent" to slide film (and even to high resolution print film such as Kodak Ektar 100), but of course I could be wrong. I am sure, however, that the dynamic range of film exceeds that of current full frame sensors.</p>

<p>[[JDM, I have always thought that 20MP is the resolution "equivalent" to slide film (and even to high resolution print film such as Kodak Ektar 100), but of course I could be wrong.]]</p>

<p>Based on what evidence?</p>

<p>[[i am sure, however, that the dynamic range of film exceeds that of current full frame sensors.]]</p>

<p>Same question as above.</p>

<p>Paul,<br>

I have a 17-40/f4 that I originally used with a film camera. It was very special for landscapes, architecture, and travel. When I went to digital with the 1.6 crop factor, my 17-40 lens lost all of it's specialness FOR MY APPLICATIONS. It is now a very normal and boring standard zoom that doesn't inspire any creativity any more. I still bring out my film body for special occasions. I am guessing that your applications do not include sports or wildlife, which beg for a longer lens. If true, I would look to see if you could find a good deal on the original 5d, which might be in the same price range as the 50d. </p>

<p>I went from a 7e to an XTi and then a 7D. The 7D is more the 7n of the digital world but the 50D will also be pretty good. Go for it, you will be amazed at the capabilities of digital over film.<br>

One good feature of the 50D is MA, when you get those fast or long lenses tuning them in to the body will give you some stunning sharpness.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Will the 17-40 still offer some drama in a digital set-up?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It'll be close to a 28 on the wide end on the 50D.</p>

<p>If you're typically shooting landscapes and the like with the 17-40, then stitching a couple or three frames together is a viable alternative.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, one of the reasons I stayed with film for a while is that I liked the resolution ...the 50D is 15M -- is that roughly equivalent to what I get today shooting ASA200 with my 7n?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure, it's in the ballpark. A camera like the 50D is closer to 645 film for most purposes actually.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>[[i am sure, however, that the dynamic range of film exceeds that of current full frame sensors.]]<br /><br />Same question as above.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Common knowledge..... and there will probably be some pictures of coloured crayons here shortly to prove it!</p>

<p>A 50D II is way out of my price range, but thanks for raising the option. I just got the 50D so I'm good with that. My lenses are all Canon -- tele zoom, mid-zoom and my 17-40. I will continue to use the latter on my film 7e since I know those kinds of shots are ones I will plan out in advance.<br>

Thanks for all the help. </p>

<p>You might then consider a 5D MkI. Either that, or you'll need new lenses to get the perspectives that you liked with film. You clearly like wide-angle and the 1.6x crop factor will take that away from you without a new lens or two.</p>