D700 sold out at amazon and B&H

pablito_pistola

<blockquote>

<p>Fact: We know that the Sendai plant is still not opperational. We do not have a timeline for when it will reopen - or if Nikon is able to transfer full frame production to other plants.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>David Haas, that is not fact at all. Acutally, that is completely false information. All Nikon plants have been back in production since March 30, although clearly they are not at full capacity.</p>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well put Jens,<br>

(Quote) If more people would stop ranting and start thinking, they'd notice that they could do any job even with an 'outdated' film camera - **if** they would know their job and craft. Value your current equipment and learn how to use it creatively instead of screaming for new products every 6 months. (Un-quote)<br>

Also here in America if a buck can be made off a tragedy it will definitely happen.( So very sad)</p>

<p>Ross, the D700 is still a hot camera, regardless of how long its been out in the market. If it weren't a hot seller it wouldn't still be available. Now that the Sendai plant has their operations disrupted, I'd highly doubt that there are any new pro bodies coming from Nikon this year.</p>

<p>I used to live in the New York City area, but we moved back to California at the end of August, 2000, catching the tail end of the dom com boom. September 11 happened a year later and I was shocked. After watching the TV coverage in the morning, I bought gasoline to fill up my car tank on the way to work that day, just in case. I recall paying no more than the regular price for gas.</p>

<p>I certainly did not pay $32 a gallon or even $8 a gallon. Whoever did so was just plain dumb.</p>

<p>Before the Japan earthquake, the D700 had been going for $2350 for like 2+ years, and Nikon even had discount packages if you bought a D7000 and a 70-200mm/f2.8 VR ii, you got another $400 off. The quake certainly did not make the D700 any better. Whoever is stupid enough to over-pay for those Nikon bodies (at the tail end of their production cycles) and lenses will kick themselves later on this year.</p>

<p>Actually Nikon is in a better position since the manufacturing of all of their current DX DSLRs is already in Thailand. For one thing those are the models where the most of the profit comes from. It'll give them more options on getting the production back to the normal level. Most of their lenses are manufactured in either Thailand and China now.</p>

<p>It's all a question of offer versus demand and demand is highly affected by buyer perception.<br>

It has been said many times on this forum as well as on other sites that the Sendai factory was the only plant producing full frame bodies. At the time it seemed obvious the plant was out of service for the foreseeable future. It doesn't take a rocket scientist mind to figure out that anybody planning to purchase a D3 or D700 would jump to the phone and try to grab one of the last units available for what was perceived as a indefinite amount of time.<br>

True or false, this alone would disrupt the regular flow of these cameras inventories. Efficient companies very carefully plan production cycles to meet calculated demand and make sure they don't overstock. Any sudden peak in demand just break the system.<br>

So I think it is premature to conclude that production won't meet medium to long term demand or that a new model is within days or weeks from introduction. The lack of inventory has more to do with buyers' speculation than anything else. If sellers opt to raise prices, why not take advantage of buyers' panic? Is not unethical, nobody forces buyers to purchase this product which cannot be considered a necessity for survival.<br>

I actually find it sad when people worry about such things as availability or price of their toys when others are suffering as a result of the same cause that will make the toys late for Christmas time.<br>

In the end, Nikon will survive, the D700 will be back in stock, or may be it will be a D800 or whatever they decide to call the new one. Who cares when it happens or what impatient buyers are paying for it now? </p>

<p>I pretty much agree with Georges, above. I think prices have jumped mostly because of panic and speculation. There is no way I'd buy one of the current camera now. Fortunately, what I already have is working fine for me and giving me the performance I need. I'm sticking to my plan to see what the next generation will have to offer. I can comfortably stand pat with what I have for quite some time, I think. No way I'm paying inflated "panic" prices for products that are becomming outdated.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Whoever is stupid enough to over-pay for those Nikon bodies (at the tail end of their production cycles) and lenses will kick themselves later on this year.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So you're calling anyone stupid for buying a D700 body lately, Shun? Really?</p>

<p>Dave, read what you quoted again. When you over-pay for something, anything, due to panic buying is always stupid, just like those who supposedly paid $8 for a gallon of gasoline on September 11, 2001.</p>

<p>The D700 was a $2350 camera back in February, and just like any other high-tech electroncis, its value should only go further and further down, as it clearly approaches the end of its production cycle.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It has been said many times on this forum as well as on other sites that the Sendai factory was the only plant producing full frame bodies.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And who says the production of FX bodies cannot be moved to other Nikon or perhaps non-Nikon factories, inside of Japan or outside?</p>

<p>Once upon a time Nikon DX bodies were made exclusively in Japan also, including my very-much-consumer-grade D100 from 2002. But 5 years later, from late 2007 on, all DX bodies are made in Thailand.</p>

<p> I think the D700 is a very special camera. However it's a computer and it's getting long in the tooth. Discounted prices for old computers is how the world turns. If there are those that are willing to pay inflated prices for the camera then I am sure they will be pleased as punch to sell them. All I can say is "better you then me". </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The D700 was a $2350 camera back in February, and just like any other high-tech electroncis, its value should only go further and further down, as it clearly approaches the end of its production cycle.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it were a normal camera, yes. However there is no other camera like the D700. Even you've said so yourself that it is better in many ways than its closest competitor, the Canon 5D (and the MkII as well perhaps). The reason the D700 still sells briskly is because it is simply a brilliant camera which produces high quality images. This is the same reason Nikon released the D300s, which was simply a D300 with another card slot and video kludged into the body. Otherwise it's the exact same camera as the D300, and I never thought of calling someone stupid for buying one this year, even if it is near the end of its production cycle. The D300s is still a good solution for someone who wants the best pro DX format body they can get (and yes, the D300s is a pro body, the D7000 is not). </p>

<p>The D700 is just as good today as it was the day it was released in 2008. The price went down to $2350 (actually it was $2399 at B&H before the quake, this is because they had a $300 off rebate on it to spur sales. After the quake it went up to $2699, which is the current list price from Nikon. Henry Posner came on to this forum a few weeks ago and defended the price rise, saying they were required by Nikon to sell the camera for list price, it was not price gouging according to him). And we don't know what the D700 replacement will be, it could be a D700s and just have video and a second card slot kludged into the body ala the D300s.</p>

<p>And I do not expect there to be a new model this year out of the Sendai plant due to massive parts shortages currently in effect. Northern Honshu has been literally decimated by the disaster of March 11, 2011. We have yet to see the long term effects, but shortages are surely going to cause prices to rise, it is something they call "supply and demand." Demand stays constant, supply goes down, prices rise. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Once upon a time Nikon DX bodies were made exclusively in Japan also, including my very-much-consumer-grade D100 from 2002. But 5 years later, from late 2007 on, all DX bodies are made in Thailand.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thankfully Nikon has factories outside Japan, however they are mostly assembly centers, with many parts coming out of Japan (like flex circuits, sensors, optics, etc). So we may see shortages of lenses and some DX bodies in the future as well. We will just have to wait and see.</p>

<p>Dave, you have told us over and over that the D700 "has a lot of drawbacks," such as the 89% viewfinder is not acceptable and why you prefer the D300: <a href="00Xm80">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Xm80</a></p>

<p>You had one back in 2008 and sold it after a few months. For whatever reason you bought another one and all of a sudden it is now a brilliant camera again.</p>

<p>It sure makes people wonder which Dave Lee they should believe.</p>

<p>To be fair with Dave I don't see any conflict between his comment here and the one he made last year. His previous post was a personal statement related to his own preferences. The camera not meeting his own needs doesn't make it any less brilliant in the market place.</p>

<p>I surely don't think his latest post warranted that harsh of a response though.</p>

<p>Whether Dave like it or not, the state of the d700 production is 100% or not, the end supply is still very low currently...therefore its price will be inflated. Basic economics 101...It is still the only *relatively* affordable, *relatively* small FF nikon dslr. Until another comes out, the value of the d700 will be north of or around 2k</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Something like $2350 seems to be more reasonable for a new D700 that is based on the 4-year old technology from the D3, which was discontinued a year and half ago. Something around $2000 or a bit more is fine.</p>

<p>However, if you check the current refurbished prices via Amazon.com's web site, it is getting pretty crasy:<br /><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001BTCSI6/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&qid=1303883613&sr=8-1&condition=refurbished">http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001BTCSI6/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&qid=1303883613&sr=8-1&condition=refurbished</a><br>

<br />We are talking about a couple of dealers selling refurbished ones at $3299 and $3399. That is higher than the new price from 2008 when the D700 was introduced.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />We are talking about a couple of dealers selling refurbished ones at $3299 and $3399. That is higher than the new price from 2008 when the D700 was introduced.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, there are suckers born everyday...there's nothing we can do about that, Shun. $2350 does seem reasonable for a new one. </p>

<p>Why $2350? Why not $1800, or $2815? Any price is arbitrary.<br>

What make the value of the product? Market.<br>

When Nikon first assigned the original retail price, it wasn't because the camera cost them $x to produce and they wanted to make $y in profit. They set the price according to what they thought the market would pay for it. The market has other choices, the market may have fluctuating priorities. The end result is that any company selling a product has to carefully evaluate what the market will pay for it. If they underprice the product they loose potential profit, if they overprice it they end up with unsold inventory.<br>

The reason some sellers are now bumping the price of the D700 is that they think they have an opportunity to make additional profits. As long as buyers bite why should they sell it cheaper? They can reduce their price anytime they want if the market dictates it.<br>

Now should you call the buyers stupid? Wow! Chill down.<br>

You don't know what their intentions are. May be they have an urgent business need and the profit they make on the project easily covers the bumped price, may be they are buying to resell at profit in less inventoried market, may be they just want their new toy now and have the means for it, may be they have any other very valuable reason.</p>

<p>Maybe I am the only another member in Japan to post on this thread - sorry for not posting often. I don't know why D700 or other Nikon products are out of stock or price is going up and, you know what, I don't care. <br>

I just care that there are still 12K people missing with 15K people confirmed dead, and 12K people still homeless. Most of the manufacturing facilities have been back in operation, but not full capacity - may take until this fall or so, some say. Sometimes the headline or these comments here and there sound as if it were Japan's fault. I apologize that you guys have tough time to get your hands on D700 and such - are you happy?<br>

So, like Rene, as a person living in Japan, I wonder why or whether it is so important to know why some products are out of stock or price is increasing. Japanese are doing the very best they can to recover. You also have to remember that many of them have lost their homes, families, and some are still missing some or all the family members - these people are fighting 24 hours a day to try to get the factory back to 100% operation. I hope you understand that and forgive Japan.</p>

<p>Ken,<br>

I am sorry if my post left you feeling that Japan was in anyway way responsible for people elsewhere having to pay more or not find there new toys.<br>

What Japan is going thought is horrific, and depressing on all counts. I myself feel that people in Japan are strong , diligent and most of all consensus. These are traits that are not often found elsewhere in other societies.<br>

My comments were made that people should make do with what they have. As I look back on it maybe that was not the proper response ,if we all did that it would not help keep Japans economy stable. I was also incorrect on my comment on others making a profit of you’re misfortune. I called it sad was wrong Sad is what you and you’re country are going through. Sick is that others want to make a profit game of it.<br>

Again if any of my comments have offended you I am deeply sorry as that was not my intention.</p>

<p> Everyone here feels truly saddened by the events in Japan. The loss of life, suffering and hardship that is being experienced. Everyone including myself has great respect for the people and country of Japan. I have always wished I could afford to visit on holiday myself. I do not see this post as being disrespectful at all. It's just a camera forum and that is what people do here is chat about the products in a variety of ways. The cost of something is always an important factor to everyone. I guess for myself the cost is just a curiosity as I do not want one of the camera's. </p>