Vibration Reduction question

keith_jackson3

<p>I recently purchased my first VR Nikon lens. It is the basic 18-55 3.5/5.6 AF-S DX VR. When I first started using it, I didn't really notice a lot of difference, but then today I noticed that the VR was turned off. Once I switched it on, it seemed like the shutter operated a lot slower than normal. Is it just part of how the VR itself works that it seems that way? Thanks.</p>

<p>It does take a moment for the VR to spin up and stabilize the optics, yes. Just partially depress the shutter button, and as you're composing/focusing, the VR will kick in. You should be able to actually see the stabilization effects through the viewfinder (but you'll notice it more at the 55mm end of the lens's range).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there an auto mode that will go to a slower shutter when VR is turned on?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. The user is possibly not pre-focusing. I mean... depressing the shutter halfway then engaging when ready. I've used VR lenses for years, and whether you're using them VR or not makes no difference in this regard.</p>

<p>I have three VR lenses and none feel like they lag to me. I never even think about it, I just shoot knowing that the VR is active and doing the job. In fact, I actually don't notice the stabilization effect until I edit the photos later and see that the lens without VR has a lot more photos with shake problems than the lens with VR.</p>

<p>I think that I am going to have to do some more testing and playing around with it later this week if I get the chance. On a related note, is there a field in the Exif data where it will say if VR was on or off, or is it dependent on the camera and/or lens manufacturer? Thanks.</p>

<p>Do you have a second battery to test with? I suppose it's possible that with VR on, the camera is pumping more battery power to the VR system in the lens, and that reduces the current available to the mirror-flapping solenoid, making that mechanism a touch less nimble. Just speculating, here! But it's easy to test with another battery.</p>