VX1000 Redux

<p>I bought this VX1000 a few years ago from *Bay, but unfortunately the frame counter stuck at random and the return spring for the winding lever didn't. Not major issues admittedly, but enough to put the camera into the 'to be fixed sometime' category. In addition I could not find details of the wind on mechanism anywhere and it is very different to that of the Varexes IIa and IIb that I had on the shelf to compare with. Anyway, there it stayed until last week when I bought a VX500 for parts and using that as an example I managed to sort its big brother, which is now a total delight. OK it is nowhere near as well put together as the Varex, but the instant return mirror is a real bonus (I was brought up as a teenager on an Exa 500, so I like my home comforts). Apart from that there is something modern-ish about the styling that really hits the spot.<br>

The only worry now is that having been tempted by the VX1000, I might go looking at the RTL1000s that shared its old 'to be fixed' home. Perhaps a step too far?</p><div>00Ybxf-350837684.jpg.394bfb03b5daac1205d842fc29af1688.jpg</div>

<p>One of the best Exaktas made ever. I have a IIB that broke its return spring on the wind-on lever. I fixed it by heating the broken end and hooking it on to the anchor at the stem. It worked a bit, roughly, for some time. Then it broke again. I removed the spring completely. Now, it is very smooth and all I have to do is return the lever manually to its original position after cocking the shutter. <br>

The Exaktas appear complicated. But they are designed in a modular fashion. If something is broken the rest of the camera still works and one can make the same quality pictures. Congratulations on your restoration/repair job. The RTL is a bit more complex. It is very similar to the Praktica L-series. It was their forerunner or the prototype. They made only a limited number and then switched over to the Praktica L-series. I guess that was mainly due to the name dispute raised by the Steenbergen heirs. Best, sp.</p>