canon Rebel XT-tight budget for new lenses

<p>Hello everyone!</p>

<p>This is my first post in this forum. I consider myself to be a beginner. I have been using my SLR camera for the past year, and have recently bought a prime 50mm f/1.8 and I'm very happy with it, especially for portrait photos. I would like to buy a wide angle lens but I can't afford to spend too much on it. I'm thinking of buying a sigma or tokina lens since I've heard that they are a good alternative to a canon lens.<br>

I wanted to know what you experts think of these two brands. Are they indeed good? Or should I keep saving money to spend it on a canon?</p>

<p>Thank you very much.</p>

<p>I have the older Sigma 10-20mm lens. I personally find it to be one of my favorite lenses on an APS-C body. Liked it so much that when I also bought a 5D, I ended up buying the older Sigma 15-30mm lens for the larger format (still shoot both APS-C ["crop"] and 35mm size ['full-frame']).<br /> Unfortunately, there are no inexpensive prime lens solutions to the wide angle on APS-C, but the 10-20mm Sigma is widely available used for lower prices.<br /> I have lots of older MF Tokina lenses under other names, and they are very good. No AF lenses, though. Tamron is another maker worth looking at.<br>

The 18-55mm IS lens, if you have it, is the most economical 'wide' available for the APS-C cameras.</p>

<p>Personally I would prefer a SIGMA lens to a Tokina. I've never been impressed with Tokina's quality control or the fact that they sell lenses under about 10 different brand names.</p>

<p>SIGMA has a loyal following and they produce quality glass. I prefer Nikon lenses for personal reasons, but have never had issues with good copies of SIGMA lenses that I have used/borrowed. They also offer some focal lengths that you just can't get from Nikon or Canon without spending a fortune.</p>

<p>You will want to look at a zoom lens since any wide prime on an APS-C sensor is going to run you several hundred dollars.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, and it's a great lens, but when I got it, it was running $650. I think there's an older or alternate version with a variable aperture that will be much cheaper, particularly if you buy it used (check out keh.com; their bargain grade lenses are fantastic).</p>

<p>I own a Canon Rebel XT and have two Sigma lenses that works perfect with it. As I know, the Sigma 10-20 4,5-5,6 is a good lens and a good value new compared to the competition ( I dont have it). I wouldnt hesitate to get one if the budget is tight.</p>

<p>Tokina 12-24 f/4 is a very good lens for its price. The extra few millimeters the Sigma has, though, are considerable. 2mm wider for these ultra-wides makes a lot of difference. The Tokina advantage is mainly build quality. They are very solid.</p>

<p>Richard,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've never been impressed with Tokina's quality control or the fact that they sell lenses under about 10 different brand names.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, but the only other brand name under which you find Tokina designed lenses is Pentax. You might be confusing them with Tamron; Tokina is quite a different company though. There are far less complaints about quality variation between Tokina lenses than you will find for Sigma lenses. They also sell a lot less, though.</p>

<p>Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma in their early days all made lots of lenses for "house brands" for many American and European importers. I have seen no <em>non-anecdotal</em> evidence that their quality control is less "controlled" than the OEM. Lots of badmouthing, no data.</p>

<p>Nowadays, most of the house names are made in Korea or by smaller companies in China, Taiwan, and elsewhere. This segment of the market has always been very fluid. Some of these are flawed less in their manufacture than in their basic optical designs, since there do not seem to be some that are great and others not.</p>