Speed light attachments

chad_goldman

I'll be shooting a wedding this weekend, my 4th. I have an equipment question, I just received my sb700 in the mail and will not be

able to give it a hard test prior to the wedding. So here's my question, on camera sb 700 with the diffuser that it comes with bounced,

or sb 600 on camera with globe diffuser while the wedding is taking place? I dont wnt to have umbrellas placed around for obvious

reasons. Vie never been I this church before but it's not that old ao it should be a nice ceiling to bounce off.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom

Cg

<p>The only advice I can give is to learn lighting. A wedding isn't really the place to learn lighting unless you are acting as an assistant for someone who already knows what they are doing. Generally speaking, many churches don't even allow flash during the ceremony so you should have the lenses to allow you to shoot in low light regardless. As far as flash tips go, see here:</p>

<p>http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/</p>

<p>As John Deerfield has pointed out, most churches don't allow flash photography during the ceremony. Sometimes, even if the venue allows flash, the officiant may request you not use it.</p>

<p>Check with the officiant a few days prior to the wedding to make sure flash will be allowed. If it is, I would not bet on being able to use the ceiling to bounce off of with an SB-600/700 unless you are cranking your ISO. (Higher ISO requires less flash to be effective). You may want to try a bounce card and/or a bracket to get your light to come from above the bride and groom.</p>

<p>At the same time you are asking about flash, try to get an hour or so around the same time of day as the ceremony to pick your spots and see how the lighting looks in the church. If you have never shot at this venue before it's always a good idea to shout ahead. If you can't get in a few days before the wedding, get to the church EARLY to pick your spots...and have backup spots in case there is someone (videographer, singer, guests), standing in your choice spots.</p>

<p>If flash is not allowed you will likely need a fast zoom and/or a fast prime to make life easier. (High ISO can be used, but you will need to NAIL the exposure to avoid excessive noise)</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Note that the 'no flash' rule applies to the ceremony itself and usually not to the processional and recessional. For these, you will probably need flash, unless the ambient light is fairly bright.</p>

<p>The modifier sold with the SBs is one similar to the OmniBounce. In my experience, this modifier, if the bounce surface is fairly far away, 'makes' its own light. By that, I mean the light that comes out the front is used as main light, not the bounced light. However, that light isn't like bounced light, it is more like direct flash, although diffused (which is different from soft). Don't know what a 'globe diffuser' is. If you are referring to a Lightsphere, it performs similarly to the Omnibounce, but to have enough power to light a subject 10-12 feet away, you are going to have to put the dome on.</p>