New Broncolor Senso A2 Review... Acute vs. Senso?

mattbeardsley

<p>Hello Photo.net<br /> I've spent a couple weeks with Broncolor's new entry-level pack, the Senso A2. I love using it in the studio and really have only one complaint, flash duration. I love the level of control, RFS 2 wireless trigger/control, digital feedback, and high level of asymmetry, plus it looks awesome on set!<br /> Take a look and let me know what you think. I'm especially curious if people think of poor flash duration as a real handicap. Aside from that, it's a killer pack!<br /> http://photoartsmonthly.com/blog/2011/04/15/introduction-the-broncolor-senso-a2/<br /> Thanks!<br /> Matt</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm especially curious if people think of poor flash duration as a real handicap.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very much so. You and I are approaching "duration" from opposite directions: you talk mostly of ambient to flash ratios, while a lot of my shooting is active: dance moves, leaps, spins, use of a wind machine, etc. Even on less aggressive shoots, the shorter durations add a "crispness" to details that I like, and they're especially good for hair.</p>

<p>There are shoots I've rented the Broncolor Scoro A4S for. Others, I've shot with a couple of modified White Lightnings, with half the capacitors disconnected to halve duration (and power, unfortunately). And some I've done with banks of 12-16 speedlights.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Take a look and let me know what you think.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Personally, I'd like to see more discussion on the pack vs. monolights issue. These days, that seems to be the big philosophical difference in lighting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Aside from that, it's a killer pack!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah, that's one thing I dislike about packs, that "killer" thing. The one that almost killed me was a Lumedyne...</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Yeah, that's one thing I dislike about packs, that "killer" thing. The one that almost killed me was a Lumedyne...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lumadyne's are DC powered battery units. he is asking about an AC powered system but like any high voltage electricl system those can bite you too, even a hot shoe mounted flash can shock you badly. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the excellent review. It still leaves a big question up in the air for me though.<br />Will the new heads accept my existing Broncolor reflectors and speedrings?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am working with the Senso A1200 system as well for an upcoming review in PPA's "Professional Photographer" magazine and last week shot a major ad campaign using the Senso pack and Litos heads.</p>

<p>To answer your question: all other Broncolor reflector speedrings and reflectors will fit on Litos heads and Other Broncolor heads work with the Senso packs. The sole exception in my experience is the Litos umbrella reflector which doubles as a protective head cover for that head.</p>