Is there a FAQ for new Polaroid users?

<p>I do renaissance faires and steampunk events, and in the last year or so, I've had an obcession with my steampunk character being a re-creation of the news photographers from Hollywood's gloden era (1930-40's). To that end, I've bought several classic bellows cameras (Seneca junior that is a display piece, 1939 Speed Graphic body that is in working condition, and a Kodak Pony Premo, that I've removed the lens, and put in my Olympus E-P2). I've also been building shells to look like the bellows cameras to house my E-3. Recently, I was searching ebay, and came across a Polaroid Propack camera with flash that was claimed to be in working condition that was in my price range, and bought it. I haven't gotten it yet, but I should get it next week some time.</p>

<p>I haven't shot film in at least 10 years, and I haven't developed film since 1975, but I would like to get acquainted with the Speed Graphic and Propack, and shoot them like you would have when they were originally developed. Developing film is out of the question for me at the house (no room for darkroom, and we have a septic system and are adjacent to the pond used for the town water supply, so I don't want to dump chemicals down the drain), but polaroid would give the instant gratification I'm used to with digital.</p>

<p>For the Propack, I assume the original directions are more or less still reasonable, using the Fuji FP-100B, FP-100C, and FP-3000B films instead of the Polaroid films. Is there any modifications I need to use with the Fuji films? Is there a FAQ for people starting out?</p>

<p>From what I can see, Fuji is the only game in town right now. The impossible project doesn't seem to yet be producing film for the pack cameras. Is this a correct assumption?</p>

<p>I'd also like to learn how to shoot the Speed Graphic with polaroid film. There it looks like the Fuji FP-100C45 is the only film, since Fuji has discontinued the FP-100B45. Is this correct? What kind of film holder do I need for the polaroid film? Obviously with the Speed Graphic I can do regular film and pay for the developing at Dorian Labs in Boston, but for the learning process, I want immediate feedback.</p>

<p>For quite a while now you've had to put the word "Polaroid" in quotation mardk (" ") since they are no long making instant film.</p>

<p>You should be able to use a pack film back (Polaroid or Fuji) on your Graphic (if equiped with Graflock back) for shooting the Fuji instant film. It ain't cheap though.</p>

<p>It appears that your steampunk character is not very capable at web searching. Please tell him (or her) to check the web iste and data sheets at Fuji. He (or she) should be able to get all of the information he (or she) needs:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.fujifilm.com/products/film_camera/instant/#content2b">http://www.fujifilm.com/products/film_camera/instant/#content2b</a></p>

<p>Thanks Donnie, the Land List is what I was looking for. I had seen it previously, but had not bookmarked it.</p>

<p>Brian, I had already seen the spec sheets for Fuji films. I was asking more for information on using the film in the camera which is not covered in the Fuji site, since they only talk about their own cameras.</p>

<p>To shoot with the Fujifilm instant pack films, you can choose from the following currently available film:<br>

3.25"x4.25":<br>

FP-100B (bl&w)<br>

FP-100C (color)<br>

FP-3000B (bl&w)</p>

<p>4"x5":<br>

FP-100C45 (color)<br>

FP-3000B45 (bl&w)<br>

FP-100B45 (bl&w) was discontinued last year - very sad news!</p>

<p>Polaroid made pack film holders for each size film. Both holders fit many 4x5 cameras with graflok backs. You can get the Polaroid holders only on the used market. Fujifilm makes holders that are nearly identical to Polaroids', and they can be purchased new: <br>

3.25x4.25 - Polaroid 405 holder, or Fuji PA-145<br>

4x5 - Polaroid 550 holder, or Fuji PA-45</p>

<p>I can't speak directly about your Speed Graphic, but the Polaroid 405 and Fuji PA-45 which I own, both fit my ca. 1954 Crown Graphic with graflok back. It's a very tight fit, though with the PA-45. You might want to search the forum archives over at graflex.com to see if there is an issue with your Speed Graphic.</p>

<p>As far as I know, the Impossible Project has not produced any of these "pack films", yet. We can hope that they do one day, though!</p>

<p>Some folks purchase expired Polaroid pack film on eBay, but I'm not brave enough. YMMV.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>RT thanks.</p>

<p>I got the Propack and the outside looks hardly used, but the flash and body were full of corroded alkaline batteries, so presumably it was used for a bit and then put down for 30 years or so. Now the fun begins to try and clean the contacts, and replace the timer batteries and hopefully that's all that will be needed.</p>

<p>Thanks Donnie. I got the batteries out of the camera itself, but the flash batteries are pretty well wedged in there. It occurs to me that if the camera did sit for quite some time, the capacitors on the flash may also have lost their ability to keep a charge. Fun, fun, fun.</p>

<p>After sitting for a long time, a flash capacitor will need to be re-formed, which is done by inserting new batteries and turning the flash on. Let it charge until the indicator light comes on, and then flash, either by working the shutter or pushing the flash test button. Do this several times and the flash will be ready to go.</p>