Fair Trade (17-40L for 15-85)?

leonachi

<p>Earlier, I posted a question about a good one lens solution for travel. Many suggested the 15-85. I currently own a 17-40L and find the focal range somewhat limiting. I have been offered to trade my used but well cared for 17-40L for and equally well cared for 15-85. Straight trade. I know mine is "L" glass and very well made, but am tempted by the convenient range and IS. I'm shooting with a Canon XS and don't see myself going to a FF body. Is it a fair trade? </p>

<p>In terms of a value standpoint, the 15-85 IS is going used for a slightly more than the 17-40 on the sites I checked.</p>

<p>From the Lens standpoint, I love my 17-40 and it is the one lens I have never traded, but I also use FF and APS-H cameras, along with Film EOS bodies. I don't have any personal use of the 15-85.</p>

<p>They cost almost the same new (varies a little with the dealer) so are close enough for a straight trade if in similar condition. The Canon USA site lists the 15-85 at $799 and the 17-40 at $839. Oddly, the 17-40 has gone up a lot. I bought one new for $600 a few years back. Last year the 15-85 was about $100 more than the 17-40. Now it's a little less.</p>

<p>I have both lenses and the 15-85 is a much better optic with 3-4 stop IS in a not nearly as nice barrel. I'd sell my 17-40 too but I need to use it one in a while on my 5D2.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I have the 70-40 and love it with a cropped body. But, I also have a 70-200. In my case, I am very satisfied

and don't often miss the gap between the two. If I am hiking I will use the 17-40 and 100 L macro

combination, and leave the 70-200 at home unless there is a high chance of using it.

But the 15-85 IS would seem to be an excellent range and one lens solution for travel, longer and wider. I

would go for this lens.

<p>The deal seems fine, and I think you'd be much happier with the 15-85mm. It's a much better fit for a crop sensor camera.<br>

In general the wide angle L zooms are a waste on the crop format. They're big, heavy and expensive, because they need to offer decent quality at the edges/corners of full-frame cameras, which you won't use anyway.</p>