Which camera would best fit??

sarah_lovette

<p>Ok so I currently hold a large love for photograpghy but very limited knowledge. I currently own a Canon EOS XSi and would very much like to upgrade. I've taken a few photograpghy classes and am currently registered for 4 more! While I love to goof around with taking pictures of my family and other random objects (which I have had the pleasure of actually making a dollar or two off of) I would very much like to move towards starting a small side bus with taking family portraits, all outdoors, as well as landscape type pictures. While I understand I need more training what camera would be the best for me to upgrade to with the end goal being professional or even semi-pro photography?</p>

<p>Until you find your camera limiting your ability to get the shots you want, you don't need to upgrade your camera. The same goes for lenses...until they are limiting your photography in some way that can only be solved by a different lens, there's no reason to buy new ones. Take your classes and see where your gear starts limiting you, then consider which tool will solve your problem.</p>

<p>Dear Sarah,</p>

<p>First adding to the chorus here...</p>

<p>Why does the XSi / 450D disappoint?<br>

What shots can't you make with the XSi?<br>

What circumstances would leave you needing another body?</p>

<p>My guess (sorry if I'm wrong) is that you might need other lenses or a flash.</p>

<p>That said, I own and use a rebel (400D), a prosumer (50D) and a semipro (5D2) body and see the attraction in all three.<br>

The rebel is small and light, has a built in flash and produces good quality pictures.<br>

The prosumer is the most responsive of my three, the shutterlag, viewfinder-blackout and AF are the fastest. The body feels solid and has a built in flash. The control layout, the quick-menu and the viewfinder are fine. It produces ever so slightly better images when I get it right but it's more finnicky than the rebel.<br>

The semipro is pretty big and heavy compared to the others, especially the rebel. It's less responsive than the 50D. Control layout and quick menu are fine. It has the best viewfinder of these three (especially for framing wide angle shots) and it produces better images with less effort among this threesome.</p>

<p>I hope this helps,</p>

<p>Matthijs.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Agree with the majority. Once you decide to "start a small side business", it makes no sense to ponder a general question like "what camera should I upgrade to?" Until you discover that your current camera cannot do what you need it to do, you really have no way of knowing what you need! Start small, maybe with family and friends. You may discover that your money will be better spent on accessories at first - tripods, reflectors, flashes, etc. Then once you discover that your current camera is not sufficient, make a list of what you need that it doesn't do, and then you'll be able to make a better decision about which new camera to get.</p>

<p>Good luck with your new business.</p>

<p>Sarah,</p>

<p>I think everyone here has given you great advise, and I will try to elaborate a bit.</p>

<p>There are many photographers that have a "side business" that shoot with the same camera that you own. They do not see anything wrong with their camera and know it inside and out. Knowing your tools is the first step in becoming a professional. Once you know your tools the only time to upgrade is when you find that there is something lacking that your technique and other tools, (tripod, flash, lenses, etc), haven't remedied. Only then is it the proper time to upgrade your camera.</p>

<p>If you want a camera that will make you "look more like a pro" then, by all means, get a 5DMkII or 1D MkIV...those are the current standard for Canon Pro Bodies.</p>

<p>RS</p>