New Member in New Mexico

<p>I have just recently gotten into photography in the past few months. I did take an introductory digital photography class last year and that is what started it for me. In February I bought a Canon Rebel Xsi with the 18-55mm kit lens. Since then I have been out on many hikes around New Mexico taking landscape photos. I am having a great time with it. But I am also wanting to improve my shots and that is why I am here on the photo.net. I want to take clearer, crisper images. I know I am somewhat limited with the camera and the lens that I have currently but I want to get to know the equipment that I have well before I add more to my collection. I am adding an image that I took in some badlands recently to this post. I am looking forward to interacting with you all!</p><div>00YZOU-348439584.jpg.9c55ad2f01fa2cdaffe3d0e5af11072d.jpg</div>

<p>Welcome, Fennel! In all the time I spent in NM (mostly on Route 66 between Grants and Albuquerque), I never made it up to the Badlands. So, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.</p>

<p>One comment about the shot you posted: The twisted root formation on the left is very interesting. I think you can emphasize it more by cropping some of the sky, and on the right. I'm just sayin'... :-)</p>

<p>Thanks William! Yes, I think you are right about being able to emphasize it more if I crop some more sky off of the right. However, there is something about this composition that is appealing to me. From this perspective, it looks like that piece of wood or root is about to get up and start walking, like Tolkein's Ent. At least that is what it looks like to me! :-) And I definitely did not see that when I took the shot so that has been kind of fascinating to look at after the fact. I will play around with the cropping though and see what happens. Thank you again for your suggestion. </p>