I just purchased a Leica 50mm dual range summicron with eyes. It's in

excellent condition. But the the front lens element is slightly dirty

and needs to be cleaned (just a little grime). I know that the lens

coating is a little soft. How should I clean it? The typical lens

paper and liquid solution?

Advice, please!!!

As always...thanks for your help!

Dave,

1. Use a soft brush to get dust etc. of the lens.

2. Fog lens by breathing on it and gently clean it with a special cloth(i use seemore cloth).

3. If that doesnt work you have A) a damaged coating or B) didnt do fase 2 properly

I have alot of glass and never ever messed with cleaning fluids, the main problem i have with those is that they leave residue and sometimes small crystals on the coating. And the lens paper you mention is the worst thing you can use, its too hard and just smears the dirt all over the lens.

Hope this helps, Greetings,

The coating on the DR is not as soft as the one on the collapsible Summicron.

That said you still should be gentle. I would start by breathing on the element

and gently wiping it clean with a lens tissue. Use a circular motion and don't

"buff" a spot. Do not use a cloth for cleaning eye glasses. Some are

impregnated with chemicals that may harm the coating. If she still needs a

little cleaning get some lens cleaning fluid (Rosco or Pancro are good

choices. Oddly enough the Kodak fluid left a residue.) Put a few drops on the

lens and let the weight of the wet tissue do most of the cleaning. Try not to buff

a spot in particular, but use a gentle circular motion.

feli

Start by using a soft brush to wipe dirt & dust from the lens. You can also use canned air, but hold the can several inches away and at an angle to the front element.

Buy a soft, plush lens cleaning cloth. You can get one at a camera store, but I got a better one from an eyeglasses shop (contradicts someone's advice earlier in this thread). Apply the tiniest bit of fluid, let it soak in for a moment, then gently wipe in circular motions from the center of the lens outward toward the edges. If you do this twice and the lens still looks soiled, then it probably has coating damage, which would have to be extensive to really cause any image degradation.

Once you've done this cleaning, if you treat the lens well, you should only have to blow dust off (or brush it) occasionally; i.e., unless you spill a beer on it, the cleaning fluid and cloth should not be necessary again for a long time.

Optics in astronomy are very similar to camera lens in their construction, coatings, and glass types used. We never use filters to protect our lenses and we are often effected by dew which deposits many contaminates in the air onto our optics and dust. Sometimes we have to wait years to recieve precious hand figured lenses and/or mirrors from the talented folks who produce them. Therefore cleaning optics, protecting their many coatings and preserving their fine surface polish for maximum resolution is extremely important to the astronomy community and a process not to be taken lightly. The first rule to follow is do not clean your optics unless it is absolutly necessary. If you must clean a lens I would recommend that you follow the procedure given by Al Nagler the owner of TeleVue Optics, one of the finest optics companies on the planet. Your cleaning technique is more important than the cleaner you use. Their web site for cleaning optics gives basic and sound cleaning procedures to follow.

http://www201.pair.com/resource/astro.html/regular/products/tele-vue-optics/cleaning.htm

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Regards, Jeff Vickers

Dave

If you follow all the links given by the respondants to your query,

you will see why I am loath to give advice on this subject. Everyone

knows of their own precious "holy water" for cleaning lenses.

I bought my DR Summicron in Munich in 1959 and it still looks like

new. (Maybe it's because I use a 40mm most of the time)

Jerry