G617

rashed_s

<p>This might sound a silly question but it is important for me to know, please.</p>

<p>I understand the hasselblad xpan is a range finder camera, the finder is built in and it is facilitated to do the focusing.</p>

<p>A camera like the Fuji G617 the finder I have to attach above the camera, it is not a built in one, so how can I determine the focusing, I mean how I can make the focus with this camera, please, is it possible when you move the focusing ring of the lens to see the focusing altered via the finder or you do estimating focusing depending on the range or distant between the camera and the subject.<br>

Thank you and wishing you all of the best. </p>

<p>Hi Rashed,<br>

There is a glass focusing screen for that camera ( Expensive ), but it's fiddly, just estimate the distance and keep the aperture as reasonably small as possible and you should be OK. You will be surprised by this cameras capability.<br>

Make sure when you buy a lens that you get the correct finder with the lens, and on the wide lenses that you also get the centre filter ( Very Very expensive > £ 250.00 )</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Adrian.</p>

<p> When I owned a G617 I either used a 35mm SLR with a 105mm lens to get my focusing information but for landscape and city scape work ,which is mostly what these get used for, infinity works pretty well 99% of the time. The depth of field scale I found to be very accurate for hyperfocal work but to be safe I always used the next larger aperture markings. In other words if I really needed good fore to aft crispness and was shooting at f/22 I would use the depth of field marking for f/16 to set my hyperfocus point so I'd know with absolute certainty that every thing betwee nthe f/16 marks was in focus. </p>

<p>The more you practice the better you get at accurately judging camera to subject distances. </p>

<p>I owned two G617 cameras (also a V-pan 617 Mark III and used as well the Linhof 617 Technorama with the 90mm lens) and shot hundreds of rolls with them. On the Fuji's with transparency film the center weighted filter was very useful. The prime (best resolution of fine detail) aperture range on my G617 cameras was the f/11.5 to f/22 range. At one point I lost the Fuji CWF and switched to a Heliopan CW filter with no problems. </p>