PK Sharpener - A Couple Questions

<p>I started using PK Sharpen from Pixel Genius a couple months ago after years of using Unsharp Mask in Photoshop. I like the results but I'm puzzled about a couple aspects of using the program in accordance with the instructions and hoping someone here can help me out. I'm using CS5, a Dell computer, and Version 2.0.1 of PK Sharpener.</p>

<p>The PK Sharpen instruction in question is on page 5. It says in relevant part that "when you want to add layer-based edits (for example a Curves or Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer) to an image that already contains one or more PhotoKit effects,you should add the new adjustments at the top of the layer stack, above the PhotoKit effects rather than underneath them in the Layer stack.</p>

<p>1. The first thing I do after opening an imageusually is to apply Capture sharpening. So at that point I have only two layers, a Background layer and the Capture Sharpen layer (HRDCM Sharp with Light Contour and Dark Contour) above the Background layer. My next step is to add an adjustment layer, let's say Levels. When I do this the Levels adjustment layer opens in between HRDCM Sharp and Light Contour which seems odd, I would have expected it to open above HRDCM Sharp. In any event, consistent with the instructions above I manually move the Levels adjustment layer above HRDCM Sharp. Is this normal, i.e. is the first adjustment layer opened after Capture Sharpening supposed to open in the middle of the Capture Sharpen layer rather than above it so that a manual move of the first adjustment layer after Capture Sharpen always has to be made?<br>

<br />2. My next step is generally to open another adjustment layer, let's say Curves. At that point my layer stack from bottom to top is Background, Capture Sharpen, Layers, and Curves. Let's say I then want to apply Creative Sharpening. In order to do that I have to make the Background layer active (if it isn't active I get a message saying something like "Creative Sharpen isn't available") and the Creative Sharpen layer then opens above the Levels and Curves adjustment layers. Since the instructions quoted above say that the PK Sharpen layers should be underneath all adjustment layers I then manually move the Creative Sharpen layer underneath the Curves and Levels adjustment layers and above the Capture layer. But in that position Creative sharpening doesn't function. In order to get it to function I have to move it to the top of the layer stack, above the Curves adjustment layer in this example, which means all previous adjustment layers (e.g. Curves and Levels in this example) are underneath it, which is contrary to the instructions. To comply with the instructions I then have to manually move the Curves and Levels adjustment layers above the Creative Sharpen layer.<br>

<br />Sorry for the length of these questions but the basic problem is that in order to follow the instructions, at least as I read them, and keep all adjustment layers above the PK Sharpen layers, I seem to have to do an inordinate amount of moving layers around manually. Is this the way PK Sharpen is supposed to operate or am I misinterpreting the instructions quoted above or doing something else wrong?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes, you want to separate sharpening from tone and color corrections. Actually, I would suggest doing initial tone color corrections first but if you want to have them editable after doing capture sharpening then you need to place the adjustments above the sharpening layers. </p>

<p>Where a new adjustment layer appears depends on what your targeted layer/group is. If you want the adjustment layer on top, target the Group not a layer inside the group.</p>

<p>If you want to do creative sharpening on top of the previous layers you'll note that PKS 2 will use all visible layers. So you'll need to decide whether or not you want adjustments layers visible when you run a creative effect. Again, I would suggest keeping sharpening and tone/color corrections separate. The output sharpening at the end should always be on top of whatever other layers you may have.</p>

<p>I think you need to get a better grasp of layer management...PKS 2 effects will ALWAYS be applied based on all visible layers. If you don't want a layer (such as an adjustment layer) to be part of the sharpening effect, uncheck those layers before running the effects...</p>