Scanning film with Nikon Coolscan and Vuescan

<p>I recently purchased a the Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED film scanner and am trying to scan some Veliva 100. For some reason, the out of focus area in my pictures looks quite bad. The in focus bit is great but the rest is far too distracting. Any ideas what might be doing this? I am scanning at 2500dpi with light grain reduction and light infrared cleaning. I have tried changing these setting along with multisampling and the number of samples but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am saving the file as a (48bit RGB) TIFF, however I can see the problem as soon as the preview is brought up. Also, "Scan from preview" is set to "none" if that helps.<br /> Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>I think that this might be due to the "infrared clean" option. I turned it off and this seemed to fix the problem for the most part but now I have small bits of dust/fibers on the scan. I think this might be internal because i cleaned the film beforehand...</p>

<p>I use an Epson and I do B&W mostly so if I do turn on my ICE it is with slide film in 120. I just spot afterwards if I can't use ICE and I find that when I do use ICE it seems to soften my scans. You can reduce the ICE level though with Vuescan so maybe you just have ICE set too high.</p>

<p>I have always found the various "self-cleaning" options to result in one kind or another of artifact or reduction of image quality. Very rarely I will use the infrared option.</p>

<p>I recommend just cleaning really well before scanning and then do hand spotting in Photoshop on the ones you need to use. Far better results for me, anyway.</p>

<p>Today I got a roll of Ektar 100 back from the Walgreens (my photo shop's gear was down), and to my astonishment, it was the cleanest roll of film I've ever, ever scanned. Sometimes, you're lucky and sometimes you're not.</p>

<p>The banding looks bad. No smooth color transitions. I guess the mirror and lens of your scanner need a good cleaning from either Nikon or an authorized shop. Somewhere on the iNet there is a manual on how to open a 35mm Nikon scanner and clean the mirror. However, you can't clean the lens unless you have a nice set of special tools and a camera to document every step for the re-assembly.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.