<p>i recently posted regarding photo shoot locations in the UK, but now i'm interested in film preference. i fully realize that the final result is in the eyes of the beholder and that different emulsions will give different results in different situations. and, i realize that i compare and decide for myself. i've read a bunch of postings in the forums.<br>

that being said, i'm interested in what slide film you guys would use across the UK countryside, particularly with spring gardens in bloom and landscapes, coastal and otherwise. i have shot elite chrome 100 for no particular reason and really like the results, but i'm always interested in trying something else. i'm not particularly interested in trying velvia 50 for the first time and regretting it.<br>

i'm looking for somewhat saturated color and some enlargement ability. i will be shooting 35mm and use a warming polarizer quite a bit because i just like the results.<br>

thanks for your replies.<br>

david</p>

<p>Elite Chrome 100 or E100G sounds like a great choice to me. Use it while you can.<br>

If would want more perk, without going crazy like Velvia 50, consider Elite Chrome Extra Color or E100VS.<br>

Warming is beneficial on both of these films, they have a dead neutral color balance for studio strobes.<br>

(The odd greens of Velvia 50 would be a bad match for merry old England in the spring.)</p>

<p>Dave,<br />Kodak's Elite Chrome Extra Color 100 (EBX) is exactly what you need. It is the more saturated brother of Elite Chrome 100 (EB). Shooting it will be as easy as Elite Chrome 100 was. It combines the saturation of Velvia with decent skin tones, less contrast (you can shoot it mid-day on o sunny day without the shadows going black), and the flexibility of 100 speed.<br />It is the consumer version E100VS, the difference being that EBX is designed so that you dont need to add a warming filter on heavy overcast days or in the shade (consukmers would not know to do this, and be disappointed by the blue casts that pro films such as Provia 100 give without warming filters.</p>

<p>It is my all time favorite slide film.<br />You can buy it here:<br /><a href="http://www.adorama.com/KKEBX36U.html">http://www.adorama.com/KKEBX36U.html</a><br />check out the review images. I am "EBX Shooter".<br />Disregard the Kodachrome fanatics comments - they are never satisfied with anything that is not Kodachrome. EBX is very sharp and saturated.</p>

<p>I shot 40 rolls of ISO 100 slide film in Japan, as well as 5 rolls of ISO 400 print film, and had no trouble getting excellent results after the rolls were scanned in Japan before I flew home. This was in November, 2000. I flew again in March, 2001 and shot more slide and print film and had no trouble with the processing again after it was scanned at the airport in Japan before flying home. I don't know why there would be any worry today. Just make sure you carry it on, and do not check your film.</p>

<p>There's nothing particular about photographing in the UK. No reason why your film of choice wouldn't perform well here. I assume that if you're used to using slide film you're used to the relatively restricted dynamic range and theat you're equipped to cope with that ( grads etc) . If you happen to get dull weather then thats where Velvia would be useful.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry about X rays of your film in US on the way out or UK on the way back. In all probability you won't get hand-check here ( you don't have the same rights as exist in the US for example) , but so long as you carry your film (no putting it in the hold baggage) there's not much, if any, risk of material damage. As well as travelling extensively myself, I've probably read every "X ray" thread on Photo.net in the last dozen years and the number od plausible accounts of X ray damage is very, very small.</p>

I put rolls of 400 speed film though carry on scanners as many as seven times with no problems.Most of the complaints I see about scanner damage to film are actually from other causes - flare from the sun and even not advancing the film properly, it slipped off the film advance reel.
James G. Dainis

<p>thanks for the replies. i've been out of pocket for the last few days and haven't checked in. thanks for the info on the elite extra color. i typically buy my film on bhphotovideo and haven't seen it on there. i typically use a moose polarizer with eb, which i guess i would not need, and i like the results, although i guess it may be a bit overkill. <br>

randall, those are great pics. nice color and really sharp.<br>

again, thanks.<br>

david</p>