Favorite Photography Apps

So I just took advantage of AT&T's $50 iPhone bargain and have now upgraded from my 5 year old motorola. I know there are lots of

apps useful for photographers; I've seen everything from remote trigger apps to sun angle apps. What are your favorites and how do

you use them to your advantage?

Dropbox is great. You just put anything and everything in a folder called Dropbox on your PC, iPhone, iPad and iPod

touch. Everything syncs so I can take either my iPod touch or iPad when I'm on the go.

It allows for multiple folders which is seriously a big deal. This is the pain with Apple's Photo app which only has one

folder.

However, Dropbox images stay on their server so you can't view them if you are offline. For some reason though I

have access to my PDF files.

Photo-Sort is also good. You can transfer images to various iOS devices as well as to you PC using FTP. Really good

also but no syncing. If you have thousands of images in multiple folders the transfer workflow becomes complicated.

Goodreader is also worth a look. It's the only app that lets you view the actual size of your images. With the others,

the image will be sized up to fill the screen. Of course it won't be a problem on an iPhone but on an iPad it can be.

<p>Another vote for Dropbox, it just works.<br /> My favourite camera related app is easily Camera+, for post-processing of your iphone photos, though its also able to take photos within the app (I dont use it as such, simply because you cannot switch to video mode).<br /> It has a good selection of effects and they work well, especially when you combine multiple ones (though that involves saving and re-opening the file).</p>

<p>I just downloaded DOF Calculator for my Droid. You could search the app store to see if there is an iPhone version. I've only played with it for a few minutes without having my camera around, but it seems useful. </p>

<p>"Use my WidePhotoViewer app".<br>

Man, are you kidding me?<br>

I tried every possible way of getting things that I need, as a photographer.<br>

Contacted Goodreader to tell them that they needed to display thumbnails, tried to circumvent Apple's Photo app to give multiple folders, Photo-Sort to somehow sync, and a host of other things photographers need.<br>

Finally, there's Mr Rochkind's WP Viewer.<br>

I immediately download the premium edition. For 79 cents? Common, that's for both on the iPad as well as the iPod touch!<br>

Folks, I'm not going to tell you how good this product is. You are going to have to try it for yourselves.<br>

I tried to "cripple" WP Viewer by uploading a low resolution file (640x480) to see if it was going to resize the image on the iPad. It didn't. It showed me exactly as I wanted it. Why is this particularly important? I have hundreds of images which I don't have the time to re-edit and re-save at a higher resolution.<br>

Oh yes, I can also indeed view my photos in my Dropbox <strong>offline</strong>.<br>

Thanks Marc. You have made a tremendous contribution to mobile based photo apps.</p>

<p>I like The Photographers Ephemeris, which is good for sunrise moonrise times and also includes a map function so you can calculate when an event will happen and where you need to stand to see it. A desktop application is also available.<br>

Another nice app for sunrise/sunset times that also includes DoF calculations is PhotoCalc.<br>

Easy Release is a useful source of model release form and will email a pdf to yourself and the model.<br>

ShakeItPhoto gives nice polaroid effects.<br>

There are some free light meters, although I haven't tried using them.<br>

Flickit is handy for uploading to flickr and there's also a mobile photoshop.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I'm a birder and I downloaded the free version of iBird. It seems like a great and in depth tool with audio bird calls too. The full version is $19.99 for North America or $29.99 for the Premium version. I haven't gotten these yet, but it seems like a great field guide for bird photogs.</p>

<p>Nathan,</p>

<p>I have the Audubon Guide, it is very good, very detailed with birds as a focus and it includes audio as well, normally several calls per bird, it also has big sections on everything else, plants, trees, snakes etc.</p>

<p>Very good and my FL version was $9.99.</p>

<p>On Android, I use vignette Dropbox is great but has nothing to do with photo apps? But I use it for networking my computers. I've also pointed all my browsers to download to a folder in my dropbox. When I get a bit of time next week, I'm going to try and store Lightrooms catalog on it and use it as a network.</p>

<p> </p>