Narrowed down to two.

<p>So i'm in the market for my first dslr and i'm just trying to find something cheap that will get me deeper into the photo taking world. I've been told that cameras are something you don't really want to buy used because it's easily possible for something to go wrong with them and its a good idea to have a warranty. With that in mind i've narrowed my choice down to two cameras. I was hoping to get some input on which is a better camera for any reason. Thank you!<br>

Jeremy</p>

<p>The first is a Sony Alpha a290<br>

http://www.adorama.com/ISODSLRA290A.html</p>

<p>And the second is an Olympus Evolt e-450<br>

http://www.adorama.com/IOME450KR.html</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Clarke's third law<br>

This applies to all the current dSLRs. Any of them are good. In fact, all of them are good, and they are fairly magical too, stuffed to the gills with pixies, as I understand. :)<br /> Personal convenience, taste, and cost variables help in selecting, but as an existential decision, just choose one and don't look back.</p>

<p>Sorry that you've heard not to buy used cameras. Buying used is my absolute favorite way to start people into photography. You can find something like a used 20D for somewhere around $250, I figure if it goes bad, I can just buy another one for the price of a new camera.</p>

<p>But if you aren't into buying a used camera, then you need to ask yourself how serious you are going to be. Sony and Olympus aren't going to have the same type of selection for lenses and accessories like Canon / Nikon will. Any new DSLR today will have more or less the same types of functions, I would suggest you go try them out, hold them in order to determine which one you like the best.</p>

<p>I dunno. I've done quite well buying used DSLRs. Sometimes there are features or image quality issues that make me want the latest & greatest, but unless you are making money with your cameras I don't see any compelling reason to buy new.</p>

<p>Personally, I wouldn't own either of the ones you list, but that's probably just my personal issue. I would rather have a low end Canon or Nikon than these. Again, just personal preference.</p>

<p>Yes, I have bought a lot of "used cameras", including modern digital ones. The latter may not have the "new car smell", but someone else has taken the depreciation in the search for something newer, always newer.</p>

<p>A middle road is to buy "refurbished" cameras from the original maker, and places like KEH, Adorama, and B&H are good sources for used and refurbished cameras with a short warranty attached to them -- usually if there are problems they will show up right away, and sometimes if you must, you can get extended warranties. I have personally never thought the latter were worth what you pay, but if you're nervous about used, that may be a solution.</p>

<p>Your bucks will certainly stretch further with something not quite so new.</p>

<p>It's true that Canon and Nikon offer more choices, but the other major makers have good selections too, and there are always third-party makers like Tamron, Sigma, etc. that offer more than enough range to satisfy all but the most "branded" customers ("I'm a buyer of only bar-bee-CanNikon, that's my brand")*</p>

<p>_____<br /> *I admit to being a Canon user these days, used to be Nikon, before then, Pentax ... Like marriage, you can swap if you're willing to pay the price.</p>

<p>Barry - I was hoping to only spend about $450 on this initial purchase, just something to get me going and learning more about using cameras in manual mode. I don't expect spectacular pictures with this cheapish, simple setup. Just something to get me started before i decide to invest a larger sum into equipment.</p>

<p>If all you want to do is get the hang of using manual over-rides then you can do this equally as well with a bridge camera such as I mainly use and when I need have the ASM options, changing ISO, Manual focus, White Balance adjustment .... what else have I fogotten about? :-)<br>

If you don't want to make prints larger than say 10x8 inches the bridge camera will be fine, that is being conservative, I would consider 15x12 my limit.<br>

For your budget I'm sure you will be AOK with either of the cameras and being DSLRs they will be faster to focus and permit you to use higher ISO settings, neither of which the lack bothers me but I guess are nice to have.<br>

I have a feeling that the Sony opens you up to a greater selection of lenses but I may be wrong there, something to check out I suggest ... by selection I mean the mount is not particular to the make and there could be secondhand lenses to expand your range at reasonable prices. Both cameras have expensive new lenses compared to other makes. Hopefully somebody can correct me up on this if I'm wrong.<br>

Go for it ... learn and have fun .. good luck. :-) </p>

<p>Jeremy, I think you have to look at the purchase holistically and not just on your first camera purchase. While you are still getting into photography, you likely have some inclination as to which direction you'd like to go. That said, you should base your decision on what camera <em>system</em> has the greatest growth potential for you later down the road, based on what you feel you may be shooting. Ignoring this now can be costly in the future if you have to swap systems.</p>

<p>I buy lots of used cameras. It's absolutely the best way to go about thing for working with film.</p>

<p>I would (almost) never buy a used <em>digital</em> camera. For example, a used Canon 1D and a new Rebel-something will both cost around $500. The Rebel will capture cleaner and higher resolution images, be faster to use, and be just plain better in almost all aspects that can be asked for in a machine used to record images.</p>

<p>Digital cameras are disposable in the sense that computers and mobile phones are. Would you buy now a 6 year old laptop or a gen 1 iPhone?</p>

<p>While it is indubitably true that virtually any current DSLR is capable of producing very fine images, it is also true that investing in a camera body is far secondary to the investment you're likely going to make in <em>lenses. </em>And, since Canon and Nikon have the most extensive line-ups of superb lenses, I personally wouldn't consider purchasing a body other than a Canon or a Nikon. </p>

<p>However, your intentions may vary from mine, and you might be content with just a few lenses. If that is the case, just go with the body that's the most comfortable for you to use.</p>

<p>I take issue with what Robert says, I have a 1D and a 7D, it is true that the 7D takes higher resolution images (more megapixels), has a higher noise setting, and does video, for speed and focus the 1D is preferred over the 7D. For Macros the 7D is better as the megapixels start making a difference but not much. The 1D can be set as high as 1600 ISO. Should compare more to televisions than computers and phones, and even there my old Dell (7 years old) with an XP system, I still use because of the software that I had on it would not work on Vista, and I have and old phone that worked fine for years and still works, it just does not have all those fancy bells and whistles that do not make a call sound better.<br>

Fred Miranda still uses his 1Ds if I am not mistaken. Here is a <a href="http://www.pbase.com/memejr1949/the_tortoise_and_the_alligator">link</a> to some images taken with a 1D and a Sigma 400 f/5.6, the 1D and the 1Ds can make that lens work while the newer ones can not. The images from the 1D in particular are hard to beat, of course you do have to learn to fill the frame as 4.2 megapixels will not allow you to get sloppy. But 4.2 is great for web images and up to A3 size.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

About getting 2nd hand DLSR's: I do! And why not? The quality and stuff will be the same as when it was produced (if taken care of well) but a lot cheaper. Same as with second-hand cars: if you don't need the new features and are are willing to take the old scratches, there is no problem as long as they drive.<br>

If you need the new and 'better features' of new camera's you would have to go new but for the same budget you can get more lenses second-hand and especially if it is also for learning, testing and 'doing everything new', it can be done as good on an old piece then on new. After a year or so, you will know better what you want and need in my experience. I like to talk with the original user to get some part of the history and why they sell. Most of the time: a newer one with more options, or even: fits better with the new computer.<br>

That will be one of the first issues in digital I guess since older software (RAW) will probably not work well on newer computers in a few years, but will the camera still work then? I will beware of camera's that have been wet and too dirty though...<br>

Elvin</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Thanks, Jim; as I guess you probably know already, all used items from Adorama come with a 90-day warranty - which includes a 30-day returns period. And of course, I'm only ever an email away for advice or after-sales support: Helen@adorama.com</p>

<p><strong>Helen Oster<br /> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

<a href="http://twitter.com/HelenOster">http://twitter.com/HelenOster</a></p>