Pocket Wizard Flex & Sekonic L-358 problems

gfkremer

<p>

I recently purchased the Sekonic L-358 flash meter with the Pocket Wizard transmitter module; RT-32N. However, I cannot get my Sekonic L-358 to fire my Canon 580EX II speedlights attached to my Pocket Wizard Flex TT5.

I have set the Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 to channel 1, attached my speedlights and turned both on. I have installed the transmitter module in the flash meter. The symbol for wireless flash triggering appears on the LED screen. I have dialed the jog wheel to Channel 1, pressed the mode button and dialed the jog wheel 1 turn clockwise and the meter returns to radio triggering mode. However, when I depress the measure button, the meter does not fire my Canon 580EX II speedlights. The speedlights are set to ETTL mode and are about 6 feet away from the flash meter. Using the Pocket Wizard Mini set to channel 1, it will fire the speedlight when I depress the "test" button on the Mini.

Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

</p>

<p>It doesn't work because you are set in the ControlTL channels. You need to connect the TT5 to the computer, configure it to work in the "Standard" channel if you want to use your Sekonic. Unfortunately, once you set the TT5 into the standard channel, you lose all the features that the ControlTL channel provides (TTL exposure, remote power control, high speed sync, etc). It basically turns your TT5 into a basic trigger like the PW Plus II.</p>

<p>So, short answer.... the Sekonic radio trigger doesn't play nice with the FlexTT5.</p>

<p>Thank you, Sheldon for your quick response. That is surely disappointing as I searched both Pocket Wizard and Sekonic's website for any info on this. One would think that with the popularity of the Flex TT5 and the Mini as well as Sekonic's flash meter, one or the other would mention this issue. Thank you again for your response.<br>

Geo</p>

<p>Found this link via the Pocketwizard.com blog:

How I did I find it? I first went to http://www.pocketwizrd.com then http://blog.pocketwizard.com/ and did a search for Sekonic.<br>

Will this be a permanent state of affairs? I highly doubt it. I have good reasons to think that updated Sekonic meter modules are in the works. </p>

<p>Thank you, Ellis. I did as described in the video, the flash will fire once, but not again. Blinking red light on the Flex indicates it's receiving a signal, but something is wrong. A common occurrance according to some of the video's posted comments. I will continue on. Thanks again.<br>

Geo</p>

<p>Thank you, Ellis,<br>

I did confirm that I was up to date on the firmware. The problem lay in that my speedlight was in ETTL mode. I switched the speedlight to Manual and it works every time.<br>

What an odd thing for Sekonic to have not dealt with at this time as I see their meter so widely touted for firing remote speedlights and strobes. The whole reason I purchased the Sekonic L-358 was to cut down on the fiddling with flash settings in the first place.<br>

Lovely photos by you and by Sheldon Nalos, by the by.<br>

Thank you all so much, my P'net friends.<br>

Geo</p><div>00YTbf-343303584.thumb.jpg.7f9ece6ff5a340259d5a1db4965f6582.jpg</div>

<p>Leigh B.,<br>

Thanks! Yup, 828 as dad was a dyed in the wool slide film only shooter. He liked it's size as he could carry it around in his shirt pocket. Rows and rows of wonderful Kodachrome slides in a big steel slide carrier bring back all sorts of great memories for me. Slowly getting them all scanned and stored.</p>

<p>Well, my friends, as it was an epic powder day here in Aspen, CO, after I got the Sekonic flash meter to fire my Canon speedlight, ( very close together) it was off to do a few laps of the Highlands Bowl. However, after returning home, I set up a mock set up to continue to practice using the flash meter and speedlights. I was very disappointed to find that the performance of the Sekonic L-358 was very erratic at best and didn't work at all at worst. If I was within 4' of the speedlight, it would fire about 50% of the time. If I was very close to my camera with the Mini attached, it would fire the speedlight about 50% of the time. However, if I got as little as 5' away from the speedlight or as little as 1' away from the camera, the speedlight would not flash at all.<br>

I double checked my firmware and it is up to date. I double checked that the Flex TT5 was receiving in Standard Channel. The erratic behavior of the system as whole continued with the Mini, mounted on my Canon camera being no longer able to fire the speedlight. Pushing the test button on the Mini, however would fire the speedlight.<br>

Should I give up on the Sekonic L-358 being able to fire my flashes and simply return the Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 and the Mini TT1 to factory settings? My ancient Kenko light meter will meter flashes just fine, but is a bit cumbersome.<br>

This is very, very frustrating and disappointing performance for a $380 investment, Sekonic.<br>

Thank goodness I have my Quantum T5D-R system with it's FreeXwire wireless triggering system. Now that works every time.<br>

Anyone's thoughts will be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>I have Sekonic L-358 and L-558 meters, and they work flawlessly with the PW Plus II triggers.</p>

<p>Don't know about the other model PWs since I don't own any such.</p>

<p>There has been an issue reported about Canon equipment interfering with electronic triggers. I don't remember the details, but PW IIRC sells a shield for the Canons.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Thank you, Leigh B.,<br>

I neglected to say that the PW RF shield is on my Canon 580EX II speedlight when it's mounted to the PW Flex TT5. My issues may very well be solely an issue with the PW's Flex and Mini. And, I am sure that there are many, many others for which this system works just great, otherwise I would have found more results on my search in P'Net's forums. I tend to believe that I am overlooking something simple, or that I have a bad copy of the Sekonic L-358 or it's triggering module. Thank you for your response and ideas. For now, all has been put away and I am going to enjoy the waning light on Aspen Mtn and nurse a few sore muscles from skiing.<br>

Geo</p>

<p>Thank you, Ellis,<br>

I have some Canon 430EX II's and I will give it a try with them and the Pocket Wizard RF shields. Thanks for your response and your ideas. A bit late tonight, so I will give it another shot tomorrow!<br>

Geo</p>

<p>Just an update; Sekonic did respond to my customer service inquiry with pretty much what everyone has told me. Once again I hooked up the FlexTT5 to the PW utility and disabled the ControlTL channel that is receiving and hit "Apply Changes". Same results as before, sadly. The Sekonic flash meter would not fire the flash unless it was within a foot of the FlexTT5. My MiniTT1 would not fire the flash at all if I triggered the camera, but the test button on the Mini would fire the flash. The RF shield is in place on the flash, but seems to make little or no difference. Needless to say, this is getting very frustrating and I am spending too much time mucking about with a system that doesn't seem to want to work. Thanks again for all your ideas and for all the information you have provided me. More to follow!<br>

Geo</p><div>00YTzg-343659584.thumb.jpg.b363dd5532f039bb4dac554663dfa10a.jpg</div>