Nikkor 50mm 1.8D and teleconverter

western_isles

<p>I am a fan of prime lens and am thinking of pairing the 50mm 1.8D with a 1.4 or a 1.7 Nikkor teleconverter. This will save on weight as I already have a variety of kit and my back is getting old! It will also save some on the cost of yet another lens.<br>

Will these teleconverters work ok with the 50mm 1.8D?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I agree...buy the 85mm f/1.8 rather than the TC. TCs are meant to be used with longer focal length lenses and would be very awkward if attached to a 50mm lens. additionally, the 85mm f/1.8 isn't much heavier than the 1.4x TC (only about 4 oz).</p>

<p>Nikon does not list the 50mm f/1.8 on their compatibility chart so my guess is that the rear element would be damaged if you try to attach a TC to the lens. </p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>The current Nikon TCs will not fit either, the rear element of both 50 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 are too close to the mount, and the TC14 and TC17 have protruding front elements. I am quite sure you will damage an element on one side (and for that reason, I won't try it, but I happen to have the mentioned lenses and TCs). And that is disregarding the fact that these current TCs only work with AF-S lenses and without modying them won't even accept AF-D lenses.</p>

<p>Depending on your camera (if you want metering): if you can live without AF, some older Ai and AiS lenses are lovely light and small (f.e. 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4), and will easily outperform a more modern prime with TC. And they can be found for very little money.</p>

<p>If you don't have a problem with MF, I recently bought a 100mm ai-s e series lens for around Euro 60,- ( US $80,- something) from fleebay, which is just a little bit bigger than a 50mm, lightweight, and performs very nicely...<br>

I guess they will be even cheaper around in the US on ebay ...</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the feedback.<br>

Have now looked at the 85 1.8 and it does look very good. I also have the 85 PC lens so I am now in a quandry. The PC is manual focus which is a bit of a bind for faster action shots. Will probably go for the 85 1.8.<br>

Thanks again to everyone for their input.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have both the 85mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/2.8 T/S. As you know the T/S is a specialty lens which is great for macros. It's just too heavy for regular photography, though I have tried it at times. The 85 f/1.8 is very nice for portraits, candids and parties as it doesn't take up much space and is relatively unobtrusive.</p>

<p>You mentioned autofocus. As others pointed out, the Nikon TC-14E II, 17E, and 20E III have front elements that won't let them mount on a 50mm f1.8.</p>

<p>The Kenko PRO-300 will mount, but its optical path is too narrow for an f1.8 lens, it will vignette at any aperture faster than about f2.2. So, you have to stop the lens down to f2.2, and then a 1.4x converter leaves you with, effectively, a 75mm f3.1 of fairly poor optical quality. I'm with the others who recommend an 85mm f1.8. 1.5 stops faster, sharper, and with better contrast than a normal on a TC.</p>

<p>This is very weird....<br>

Just 1 hour ago I was putting my bags together and just for fun and see if they worked I tried a Kenko 1.4x with my 50 f/1.8. <br>

Mechanically speaking it works just fine and the few pictures I took they look ok on the camera.... sorry but I haven't downloaded and checked on my computer. </p>

<p>There is an old AI Vivitar 2x macro focusing teleconverter that was made for 50mm primes, with built-in variable extension helical. At max extension it goes to 1:1 macro, and with min extension it is just 2x TC with inf focus. I've chipped it so that I can use it with the Tamron 60mm macro (G) for some more magnification, working distance or background blur. <br>

Now the funny part, I also put the 18-200VR on it, and it improves the resolution slightly with no expected horrible side-effects (like loss of contrast and CA). I wouldn't really call that useful though ;)<br>

Matching lenses and TCs appears to be sort of witchcraft. I think there is not much point in being a fan of primes if there is no advantage actually. You are quite likely to find a TC that works, but the combination is not likely to be on par with a decent prime with the resultant FL, likely also not with a good zoom. </p>

<p>The old Vivitar macro converter is optically very good, but the Nikon version has a design flaw. The Ai coupler ring is made of a crappy plastic that "grows" over time and will eventually (more sooner than later IME) bind up.</p>

<p>I made a replacement brass ring some time ago and mine still works superbly, but unless you have machining abilities it's probably best to stay away from them.</p>

<p>I have to agree that using a converter on a 50mm lens is a bit pointless when you can get an 85mm f/2 that's almost as light and compact as a converter, but with almost two stops aperture advantage and zero pincushion distortion.</p>

<p>> The old Vivitar macro converter is optically very good, but the Nikon version has a design flaw. The Ai coupler ring is made of a crappy plastic that "grows" over time and will eventually (more sooner than later IME) bind up.<br>

Tnx for the comment, I see the one I got is no exception then. But I think chipping is an easier solution, plus it works for the smaller bodies. $30 dandelion chip, two drops of epoxy glue and an hour of time, no grinding or disassembly needed. I should repeat this is mainly meant for macro exercises, not for the OP's idea ;)</p>