Sb28 as master?

chad_goldman

I have an sb28 and two sb-600's, the camera is a d-90. I'm trying to set the sb600s as slave, and the d90 as commander. Then

attach the sb28 in the hotshoe. I thought all the sb600s needed was a light to set them off. Yet, they do not fire with this set up. I

have some cactus v4 transmitters that I can use to trigger all, I'm just trying to find a way without the trigger. Is what I'm trying

impossible?

Thanks Chad

Http://1000dirtyfaces.blogspot.com

<p>The SB-600's cannot opertate in "SU4" mode (like the SB-700, 800, 900 can) where any other flash will trigger them. Unless you get a hot-shoe adapter for each of the SB-600's, and those are in turn triggered by an optical slave or radio receiver, the only way to fire the SB-600's remotely is using Nikon's CLS system. Your D90's pop-up flash can be set to act as a CLS commander, but you can't use that while you have the SB28 in the camera's hot-shoe. So the only way to proceed is with more triggers/adapters. By the time you buy enough of those parts, you're taking a fair chunk out of the cost of a new SB-700, which <em>can </em>sit in the hot-shoe, fire from the camera position <em>and</em> be a controller for your SB-600's as remote slaves at the same time.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is what I'm trying impossible?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. Setting an SB-600 to 'slave' mode makes it expect iTTL CLS/AWL control, meaning multiple pre-flashes for metering and communication (the older TTL system read flash reflection off the film surface and used no preflashes since that would have just exposed the film). As you found out, an SB-600 in slave mode doesn't know what to do with just one TTL pulse since it expects multiple pre-flashes. You need the D90's popup or a commander-capable speedlight (or IR speedlight commander in either the hot shoe or an SC28 or SC29 hot shoe extension like on a flash bracket) to control your SB-600s off-camera in slave mode.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>Besides Matt's SB-700 idea, for about $80 less you could get an <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410490-USA/Nikon_4794_SU_800_Wireless_Speedlight_Commander.html">SU-800 IR commander</a>. Since it's infrared, there's no flash from the camera position with the SU-800, but some people want it that way. Selling off the SB28 would defray the cost of either one, and you'd be 100% converted to the Nikon iTTL CLS system. WooWoo!</p>

<p>Another option would be to get a pair of <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/158077-REG/Nikon_3070_SU_4_Wireless_Remote_Slave.html">Nikon SU-4 optical triggers</a>. They'd set you back about $170 (~$85 each), and your SB-600's would plug right in and work as optical slaves fired by the SB28 or the camera's popup flash. Kind of a pricey solution, but classy and probably looks he best. It's tidy. It's also the last flash in the CLS lineup that could support the older TTL flash system...perfect for fancy wireless lighting setups with your FM3A or F5. </p>

<p>If you put a hot shoe flash with an onboard PC socket (like an SB-700) in the hot shoe, you could trigger the SB-28 with a PC cable or a radio trigger. </p>

<p>With 3 or 4 <a href="http://www.flashzebra.com/hotshoes-shoes/0064.shtml">hot shoe adapters</a> (~$12 ea.) you could trigger all three flashes with some inexpensive radio triggers...total about half the cost of an SB-700 or even a little less.</p>

<p>With 3 hot shoe adapters and 3 optical triggers like <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63118-REG/Wein_W940001_PN_Peanut_Slave_100.html">Wein peanuts</a>, you could trigger all 3 flashes off-camera off the D90's popup for around $100.</p>

<p>The only way you'll ever get full iTTL and CLS with AWL control is without that SB28 holding you back.</p>

Thanks db, I'm thinking of selling off the 28, I do have the option of the radio controls, but if I can use the cls, then I'm

gonna. :) I'll wait until after the flash bus tour stop in Indy in a few weeks to see if I want to get rid of it completely or

keep it in reserve.