EOS 7D With EF 16-35 f2.8 and EF 24-70 f2.8 VS EOS 5D Mark II With EF 24-105 f4 IS

stgovilla

<p>I have a Canon 40D and two lenses ,Canon 16-35 f2.8 and Canon 24-70 f2.8.<br /> <br />My question is the next:<br /> <br />Which equipment is better in terms of picture quality an EOS 7D with the lenses I mention before,<br />or the EOS 5D MarK II with the Eos 24-105 f4 lens?<br /> <br />This is why:<br /> <br />I can sell the<br /> <br />40D in US 600<br />16-35 in US 1,100<br />24-70 in US 1,100<br /> <br />If I buy The 7D $ 1,699- 600 Total investment $1,099.00 (and I keep this two lenses, and sell the 40D)<br /> <br />If I Buy the 5D MarK II Kit (with 24-105 f4 IS lens) $3,299 - 600 - 1000 - 1000= $ 699.00 (and I sell my two lenses and the camera.)<br /> <br />The prices is what I can get here in México in a fast way.<br /> <br />Thank you very much for your time. <br /> <br />Santiago Villa</p>

<p>I feel you should be looking at the bodies and weighing your decision on which features they offer would best benefit your style and budget. While both can be used for similar styles of photography, they were designed with feature sets targeted for more specific uses. These are some of the considerations I'd base the decision on:<br>

<br />The 7D was designed to be more of an action/tele shooter's camera. It's less expensive, has a fast frame rate, cropped sensor (helps with reach for sports/wildlife etc), has a phenomenal AF system in moderate to good light (fast, accurate when set up properly)<br>

<br />The 5DmkII is more of an all around Street shooter/ Editorial/ wedding/portrait body. The 5DmkII focuses better in low light, and even though they have the same processors, the 5D sports better noise characteristics/ supression and shadow detail due to it's sensor. The 21MP FF sensor also yields better crops (detail, color/contrast etc), FF makes full use of wide angle glass. There are rumors of a next generation "5DmkIII", but nothing confirmed, and with all that happened recently in Japan-it's anyones guess as to when that will come about.<br>

<br />As for the lens-I own the 24-105L, it's a good piece of glass for my short end walk around lens. (keep in mind on cropped sensors, it comes up a little short on the wide end-giving an angle of view equivalent to a 44.8-168mm lens).<br>

<br />Your decision should be based on whether you would make more use of the long end OR the faster F stop. If you shoot more low light street / editorial/ people in general, I feel the 24-70 2.8 would be the better choice of the two.<br>

<br />Another consideration would be a 5DMkII Body and keeping your 24-70 2.8.<br>

<br />All the best, Randall</p>

<p>There are seven thousand threads debating which camera has better IQ.<br>

I don't wish to buy into that discussion.<br>

A search of the last three months will find at least three very long debates.</p>

<p>I also agree with the thrust of Randall’s comments and I think you should apply criteria <em>other than image quality</em>, to make your choice.<br>

In that regard, I’ll add that the 5DMkII can be used as a Sports Style Camera – (lack of) Fast Frame Rate is one feature which can be relatively easily overcome.<br>

But the 7D does have the x1.6 factor advantage - IF the situation requires that extra reach – some situations do not require it.<br>

On the other hand, if your Photography is more generalist in nature and does not require excessively long Telephoto lenses, I would you look at spending $1599 to accommodate:</p>

<p><strong>5DMkII + 16 - 35/2.8L + 24 - 105/4L IS </strong></p>

<p>WW</p>

<p><em>The 5DmkII focuses better in low light,</em></p>

<p>I'm going to side step the typical IQ argument as I've done them to death. But I will comment on this: everything I've read says the opposite, as does my experience, though I will admit I do not use a 5D mkII weekly as I do a 7D.</p>

<p>Another note: having both formats does allow you to effectively extend your focal length range with the same set of lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>"Another note: having both formats does allow you to effectively extend your focal length range with the same set of lenses."</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed.<br>

If we go the route of having the 40D and the 5DMkII, then <em>the 24 to 105 and the 24 to 70 become almost superfluous in respect of Relative Field of View.</em><br>

Thus making way for a two zoom kit: having only the 16 to 35 and one of the 70 to 200 zooms.<br>

And that kit has the redundancy, of a second camera.<br>

WW</p>

<p>Just to keep things stirred...</p>

<p>Keep the 40D and the 24-70, sell the 16-35 and buy the 5D-II body. (but not the 24-105)</p>

<p>If you need a little reach grab the 40D if you want wider angle and low light use the 5D-II.</p>

<p>Then, in a later phase when your savings have recovered, buy a longer lens and you have a great setup. (Think 100mm, 135mm or 70-200 zoom)</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your responses, it really added more points of views. I like street photography as well as sports, I do have the EOS 70-200 f2.8, but I didn´t put it in the equation because no matter what I do, I will not sell it (I would need it for any of the bodies).</p>

<p >I will be in Las Vegas tomorrow and until sunday, so I will have time to see both bodies, If I found an interesting offer buy one of them.<br>

I have not decided yet...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This is only my opinion, but I know I wouldn't be happy with just the 5D and 24-105mm.</p>

<p>I'd rather look into seeling it all and buying the 7D with a couple of high-quality lenses that are optimised for the crop-format e.g. the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 or the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 and a longer zoom such as one of the 70-200s or even the new 70-300mm L. That would cover a lot more ground.</p>

<p>Unless you have a very specific reason for buying a 7D (action/sports), you might also consider the 60D: image quality is pretty much identical.</p>

<p>Do you have a strobe? The 7D has a built in flash while the 5Dii does not. I really can't offer much insight here beyond asking that question though since I'm trying to answer the same sort of question about which camera I want for an upgrade as well.</p>

<p><strong>In my opinion</strong>, the "pixel peeping" image quality is better from my 5D original than from my 7D. The 7D has more noise or <em>noise reduction</em> artifacts.</p>

<p>One of the stock photo companies I upload images to rejects more of my 7D images for noise than those I upload from my 5D.</p>

I have both the 5DII and 7D and also the 24-70 and 16-35 Mk II I have also owned the 24-105 but not at the same

time as these two bodies. I would suggest the 5D II and your existing lenses if this is an option because this will give

you the best IQ. In terms of the 1.6 crop factor Scott Ferris has posted images showing that the cropped 5D ( he uses

the 1DsIII ) and the full 7D image are very similar. If you shoot sports or video the 7D is the way to go as it handles

video slightly better and has much better AF and frame rate. You can shoot sports with the 5DII but I find I almost

always use my 7D or 1DIIN. If you have to sell your lenses to get the 5D II then buy the 7D as it still takes great

images

Realy I think IQ should be the last consideration here, the 7D and the 5D are totally different animals - you should

adress you use and why you want a new camera.

If you want to move to full frame then why get rid of useful full frame lenses? Is it better to save a bit longer?

A sensible answer needs to understand your motivation.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Thank you everyone for your advice, I bought the 5D MKII body only, and will kept the<br>

40D I had. I am happy so far with the performance of this new baby, and wit the 40D<br>

I may cover for everything I need.<br>

By the way I bougth it in Jakarta with a very reasonable price.</p>

<div>00Yati-349739684.thumb.jpg.b415685a002cbc89ceb3ef00f6ee337d.jpg</div>