Viewfinder lens on K10D

raybrizzi

<p>I'm not sure at all how it happened (maybe temperature change?) since I keep my camera fairly well protected, but my viewfinder lens cracked from the top center down along three axes. I can still use it since the cracks are out of focus when using it. Is this a user replaceable part? Thanks!</p>

<p>Ray, I wish I could answer the question but I have the parts you need. I bought a water damaged K10D a couple of years ago for other parts I wanted. The owner had taken the unit apart and sent me the VF, baseplate, battery, charger and a bunch of other bits and pieces. Unfortunately I wasn't the one who tore it down, so I don't know how to. If someone can help you figure out if it's possible, I can send you the VF for the shipping cost. I have no use for it.</p>

<p>My biggest concern would be breaking the WS and possibly the clips that hold the body pieces together. I assume some of the camera is a snap fit design for the outer shell. So you would have to be sure you can do it and get it back in one piece before trying. Do you have a camera repair shop nearby that has worked on Pentax?</p>

<p>The other consideration is the lowused value. You could be better off just buying a used one and keeping this as a spare.</p>

<p>I agree. The K10D still has excellent IQ for a 5 year+ old camera but it's resale is very low. You could probably buy a new (used) camera for less than repair cost unless it was a self repair.</p>

<p>I haven't seen what K10Ds go for, but my guess is they sell for about $250-300 since they are now 3 full generations old, plus another half gen if you count the K200D.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Justin Serpico: I was faced with that same dilemma my auto focus was not working properly<br>

so rather than go hunting for a replacement camera I figured that at 259.00 it was worth having it repaired but took a little longer to get it back than any of us figured on, waiting for parts from Japan.<br>

But its like its new again, and was updated to currant software; so one has to weight the options<br>

carefully:</p>

<p>I received a service manual as a result of this post. One look at that and I can see that my chances of success are about the same as whenever I open up a laptop for anything beyond changing memory or hard drives. I always end up with extra pieces. I guess I'll live with it until the glass falls out or I get the cash for something better. thanks!</p>