<p> Hi, I have A Nikon D700 and my question is when you apply a camera profile [Portrait, Landscape, Vivid, etc...] in photoshop camera raw to a raw image does it apply sharpening to the image too? or do I need to aply more sharpening when I open the image. Thanks.</p>

<p>I don't shoot Nikon, but the general answer is that some profiles do and others don't. I use Lightroom, and there you can check by looking at the sharpening sliders after importing an image. And if it does, you can undo it, since you shot raw. However, when you wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>do I need to aply more sharpening when I open the image.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That does not depend in the profile; it depends on what the image looks like. One of the benefits of shooting raw is that you can sharpen however you think the image warrants. If it is not sharp enough, sharpen more. OVersharpened? Reduce the amount of sharpening.</p>

<p>This applies to 'capture' or 'creative' sharpening. Once you have the imaging looking as you want on the screen, you may need to apply "output" sharpening to compensate for the output device. E.g., inkjet printers need additional sharpening.</p>

<p>In ACR/LR, you can apply edits in any order you wish (they are applied when you render the data in an optimized order). I would suggest you select the camera profile first since it has an effect on the visual rendering, then move from top to bottom of the supplied sliders (note that many have requested that Adobe allow us to pick these from the top of the UI). The camera profiles should not have any effect on sharpening however. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>... the general answer is that some profiles do and others don't. I use Lightroom, and there you can check by looking at the sharpening sliders after importing an image.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Andrew is correct, profiles have no effect on sharpening in Lightroom/Camera Raw. I'm not sure what Dan is thinking of here, possibly Develop Presets?</p>