Self built website

travis_hodges

<p>Hi, I am a London based editorial portrait photographer and would appreciate some views on the professionalism and layout of my self built website.<br>

www.travishodges.co.uk<br>

Basic things i am thinking about are. Are the images the right size/layout, is the navigation clear, right number of images/projects.<br>

Many thanks in advance.<br>

T</p>

<p>Hi, <br>

Looks pretty good. I assume you have your reasons for staying away from the commercial sites. <br>

A couple of quick comments:<br>

I am only seeing images on the top half of the page. The scrollbar is in the middle of the page. There's a lot of wasted real estate below. I tested this on two different browser and two different OSes and it is the same on both. It actually looks worse on my Mac than under an older version of Chrome under CentOS because the scroll bar on the mac is so pronounced. I'd definitely look into using more screen real estate when it is a available. <br>

On the left I would be not put the section headers in all caps. I also noticed some sections where not caps - I think these where special section headings, but that part is a bit confusing. <br>

Your contact info is an image. That means it won't be indexed search engines. That is perhaps your goal, but I am not sure its a good idea for a commercial site. Much worse since it is an image I can't link on the email address and send you an email. Personally, I also like to cut and paste contact info into emails or addresses books, and using an image prevents that too. I'd reconsider using an image where text might be better suited. <br>

Nice photographs!<br>

Hope this was of some use. </p>

<p>Hi Travis</p>

<p>First is that the page is too wide for a screen. Most people would find it annoying. Second, without broadband the site is slow to load, also annoying. The photos are too large. You should take a page out of Photo.net and use thumbs for at least the first page and either use them as links to larger pics or even rollover to view larger pics.</p>

<p>Useful sites:</p>

<p>http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_quick.asp - If it's html you can find it here.</p>

<p>http://www.freecsstemplates.org/ - Start with a fully compliant site and modify it to suit your needs. Can save you hours of work.</p>