Help identifying photographer (still life, form studies, b&w large format)

<p>G'day.<br>

I've been going though some of my old books trying to find the name of a certain photographer. From what I recall, he shot primarily in black and white, was likely American, and for the work I am interested in shot mostly on 4x5.<br>

From what I recall of the lectures on the photographer (over 15 years ago, which is why I've forgotten!) at one point he did a series of still-life/form studies, making oversized enlargements of otherwise small and mundane objects. One image that is stuck in my mind is of a cigarette butt, but I believe he also did some studies of bell peppers and other vegetables, etc. I also recall one of my lecturers saying that he did many portraits, often just pulling random people off of the street for one of his portfolios; in doing so he captured a very good cross-section of people of that era.<br>

Does <em>anyone</em> know who I am talking about? When I started thinking of the portraits Avedon came to mind, but I couldn't find any of his work that focused on still life.<br>

Thanks for any help.<br>

-Patrick</p>

<p><strong>Ton Mastrom</strong>, thank you! That's exactly the image I was thinking of.<br>

<strong>Larry H Shone</strong>, Weston is also one of my favorites and I had him down as someone who may have done it, but seeing the image that Tom linked to cinched it.<br>

Cheers.</p>