iPad image optimization

<p>I use my iPad for image presentations among other things and noticed when I updated to IOS 4.3 the sync program reoptimized my photo gallery (separate folders from any other image folders) and the image optimization program changed some of the images significantly rendering them different, and worse with some, than in the original folder and IOS 4.2. Obviously the optimization is done by iTunes (also updated to 10.2.1) but I wonder if there is a way to check the color rendition or color calibrate the iPad.</p>

No way to calibrate or profile the iPad. Make sure all images destined for the iPad are sRGB.

Are you sizing them to 768x1024 or 1024x1024? If bigger, iTunes may be doing work that you'd rather it didn't do.

If you'd like to use Dropbox or FTP to get photos onto the iPad, check out my WidePhotoViewer in the App Store. The

Photo Library has many limitations, such as the complete absence of filenames, titles, or captions. This gets around

those problems.

<p>Marc: I finally decided to get around to setting up a Dropbox account and to give your app a whirl. Pretty cool!<br /><br />So far, I have only one nit to pick: when displaying images, it would be great if you could display some sort of transition graphic or other sign of life when rotating the iPad between portrait/landscape positions. Right now, there's a few heartbeats of completely black output as the app re-renders the displayed image into the new orientation. Not a show stopper, to be sure - but it takes away a bit of the sleekness of the iPad experience when showing off a series of mixed-orientation images.<br /><br />On your response to Scott, I agree: prep images for 1024x768, and they'll remain unmolested by other processes, and will display as-is.</p>

<p>I created a folder just for the iPad using copies of the original jpegs (all in sRGB) and letting iTunes optimize them. This was easier than creating iPad-only versions (cropping to iPad's format). They rendered fine with no color differences in IOS 4.2 but some show differences after updating to IOS 4.3, which rebuilt the iPad library from those originals into new full size and thumbnail images.</p>

<p>The iTunes program now seems to create new versions, copies them to the iPad and then deletes them on the Mac, keeping the originals untouched along with the thumbnail file where older IOS versions used to overwrite the original with the iPad version. It doesn't care if the images are pre-formated for the iPad, it still optimizes them. The size isn't the problem, the color is. It's not obvious in many and only significant in a few and mostly skin tones.</p>

<p>Eric: I don't think ppi makes a bit of difference - it's the actual number of pixels that matters (1024x768). 132ppi, in that sense, only matters if you also happen to <em>size</em> the image to 7.75 x 5.818 inches ... and even then, that doesn't get you to the exact display dimensions. Much easier just to think of the actual number of pixels the display can use.</p>