Filling in the gap, 28 vs 35 prime question

I currently use a 24/2.8 and 50/1.8 pretty frequently. However, I

tend to find the 50 is often not wide enough, while the 24 is too

wide (unless im doing landscape or something). I'm looking to get

either the 28/1.8, 28/2.8 or 35/2 to fill the gap.

The 28 is USM and fastest which is a plus, but is the most expensive

which isn't. I'm still trying to figure out which length would be

more useful (playing with my 28-105). I take a lot of indoor stuff

and the faster primes and some 400 film are a staple as I don't often

need a flash.

My question is, which of these lenses do people prefer. Is there

anything optically about them that isn't obvious. Is the 28/1.8

optically much better than the 28/2.8? Is the 35/2 any good? The only

FAQ stuff I really found seemed to be a bit negative about the 28s.

Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Marcus

Marcus - I would vote for the 35mm F2. It's in the middle of the other lenses you mention in terms of both focal length and price ($230 USA from B&H). My personal opinion is that 24mm and 28mm are too close in focal length. They do offer a different view point, but I think you'll get more use out of something that offers a bigger difference from what you already have. Maybe that's just me, though. In any case, I hope that helps.

<P>For a general walk around lens, I like the EF 35 2.0. The perspective is natural and easy to shoot with. Plus it's a fast, small and very sharp bargain optic.</P>

<P>I wrote reviews on the above mentioned lens:</P>

<P><A HREF="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/toolbox4.htm">http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/toolbox4.htm</A></P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The 28/2.8 is generally said to be better, optically, than the 28/1.8 USM. Even Canon's own MTF graphs show that it's the better lens with both at f/8 (the only aperture in common on the graphs), as do the graphs at photodo, and it seems that comments from people who have used both tend to favour the 28/2.8.</p>

<p>If you end up going with a 28mm lens, you may be better off with the 2.8 for other reasons, too - as you noted, it's a lot cheaper. It's also smaller and lighter. Chances are you're not going to need the extra speed of the faster lens often if at all. And quick, silent focusing isn't usually a big deal on a wide-angle lens.</p>

Marcus,

I had the 28mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 and then decided to get the 24mm f2.8 since I found I used my 24-85 zoom right at the 24mm end a lot and wanted a prime of that length. Then I got the 35mm f2 cheap on eBay and found in practice I used it quite a lot. Result - the 28mm never got used so I sold it.

It sounds like you may have already made up your mind, but here's another vote for the 35/2. I have one (along with a 24/2.8 and 50/1.4) and I haven't found anything not to like about it. Sharpness and colour rendition are as good as any lens I have (Ls included) and the speed has never been an issue.