What's your favourite (non camera or lens) piece of equipment for nature photography?

michael_bradigan

Thanks for all the answers so far...they're a lot of fun to read. But, so far I have gotten no surprises (not necessarily a bad thing...perhaps I should feel satisfied that I know what I need, if not exactly know what I'm doing!). GNDs, flash brackets, whiskey...these are all things I would buy if I had more money...sigh...starving English teacher's salary just doesn't cut it these days. Also..the 4x4 answers....how I wish! In this crazy country (Japan), it's easier to buy a company than a car. Four thousand a year for a parking space!!??!! No thank you...Anyway, thanks for all the answers so far...keep em coming...I always enjoy listening to a little free advice. Michael D. Bradigan...Okayama, Japan.

Oh I get it. You want the cheapies. One that I used to use a lot (less now though) is to take some plexiglass and scratch it with steel wool. Makes a good diffuser and wind block. I once was dealing with some extreme winds shooting Pasque flowers in Western Minnesota. I Basically had to put the plexiglass RIGHT behind the flower. The photo I got back was stunning, it looked like I was using a lens with fantastic, what's the term, broka? Everything right behind the subject was immediately out of focus and you really couldn't tell it was because there was plexglass there. And I paid less than $3 for it!

Now that I�ve gone all digital, I like to carry a MindStor digital wallet, a battery-powered disk drive that I use to download the contents of my Canon D60.

By the way, although nobody seems to agree, I still insist a graduated neutral-density filter is properly called a neutral graduated-density filter.

I realized you asked for one, but I'll give you my minimum setup (minus camera, lenses, and tripod/head):

* Digital voice recorder for exposure info.

* Freezer bags and trash bags

* Filters (Polarizer, 81A, 81B, GND's)

* Lens hoods

* Lens pen

* Energy bar & water

* Baseball cap

I also carry these in my pocket: a very small pocket knife, a cable release, my plastic filter wrench for loosening those pesky stuck brass filters on aluminum step-up rings, and my Chromazone color reference cards (comes very handy when I am running out of film and can't afford to bracket). And a small bottle of bug repellant and first-aid kit in my bag.

A beanbag:

Cut down an old pair of combats-you now have a pair shorts for your next trip- take a piece of one cut off leg. Sew up one end install and put a zip in the other end. On your next trip you can take the empty bag (less weight) and fill it at your destination with split peas or what you like, even dirt (I prefer rice, It's not to heavy and holds the lens/camera shape well and you get hungry you can eat it!). And don't forget yor shorts - with trousers you can't see if a snake's slithering up your leg.

Dean.

I love my LED headlight. The battery life is 50 hrs and it gives off enough light to hike by. Be sure you have a power bar in there somewhere for hard times. Good boots and a Gortex jacket also can come in very handy. I think my favorite thing however is an old pair of Nike wind pants. THey weigh nothing and I have hiked all over the country in them.

Something useful if you do any work near the ground and sometimes have to get on your knees is a pair of knee pads. Home improvement stores sell all sorts of them from fancy and expensive leather models to simple pieces of foam with velcro straps. The latter are inexpensive, weigh nothing and can be packed easily. Your knees will thank you for using them!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...