OM-4Ti + F280 + 21mm f3.5 for wedding photography - Advise please

simon_t__ireland_

<p>Hi Folks,<br /> Just got myself a very nice OM-4Ti recently (but needs CLA) and I have been asked by friend to take some shots at her wedding. As far as I know the F280 flash does not have that wide of a coverage for indoor church and reception environments. Any advise? I also have the T-32 and a couple of T-20s + TTL cords.<br>

Is it possible to get a WA diffuser for the F-280?<br /> In this kind of environment, would you bother with multi-spot metering? Where is the best place to read/learn more about using Oly cameras for weddings?<br>

The recycling time for these flashes (except the T-20) in general are not great right?<br>

<br /> Cheers,<br /> Si</p>

<p>A wedding is the last place you'll want to try-out a camera that is new to you. <br>

Your 21mm is too wide a lens to shoot the entire wedding with.</p>

<p>An easy place to gain some perspective shots with that lens, (w/out actually going to the exact same venue where the wedding will be held). is try going to a parking lot garden center, at dusk. About that time of night when you need to turn your headlights on.</p>

<p>In the northern hemisphere, all of the Big Box stores are putting out their spring garden display areas. Small isles, tight rows of plants and assorted garden/patio equipment. I think you will find that you'll want a 50mm, and a 100mm(+), in primes, or a fast zoom covering those same, longer focal lengths. This will give you some examples of your very limited flash capabilities as well. </p>

<p>Shooting the ceremony itself, flash is often not allowed, and if it is, the photographer is often no closer then 20-25 feet distant. A 21mm is a lousy focal length for portraiture</p>

<p>If you are able to achieve almost daytime looking results in the garden center/farmers market scenario, (which you won't with the set-up you describe), then you might be able to shoot the wedding. If not, then heed the advice above, and tell your friends to hire someone more capable, and better equipped, to shoot the wedding.</p>

<p>No wedding photographer worth their salt would ever show up with only one camera body, one short lens, and with low powered flashes. One camera body that you already know has problems, problems that may or may not be corrected with a CLA. This all adds up to a huge risk.</p>

<p>Hi folks I do appreciate your insights and concerns. Just to clarify (and I did not want to bring this up but since you folks have done so) I will be using my Nikon D2H equipped with a 28mm f1.8 AF and SB-600 flash as my main body. For back up I have Nikon F90x + a range of lenses - 17mm f3.5 MF, 50mm f1.8 AF and 105mm f3.5 MF. Also I have the Panny G1 with kit lens. I will also buy a back up TTL flash and battery for the Nikon. So for most shots it will be the on the Nikon body, but I wanted to bring my Olympus gear for outdoor group shoots and in tight indoor situation. <br>

I did not want to get into this. My focus was on the suitability of the Oly gear for groups shots. If 21mm f3.5 is too wide, then I will take the 24mm f2.8. So I guess I am not depending on films. <br>

I did ask the bride, but unusually she did not want anyone professional at her wedding. She hates posing for formal shots.</p>

<p>There is a Wide Adapter for the F280, which will cover the range of a 21mm lens reducing the light to GN 19m. This snap-on adapter is difficult to find. It is easier to find the Wide Adapter for the T32 (it comes together with ND4 and ND8 filters), which will also extend the T32 range to that of a 21mm lens (GN 22m). For details, see: http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup.htm</p>