Good Tripod Legs Under $400?

dave_l.

<p>I know asking this sort of question is probably beating a dead horse, but there are some options I don't see discussed much, and I wonder why. Ok, here's the situation:<br>

I have a budget of about $400 for a new set of tripod legs. I am primarily a backcountry and travel photographer, so weight is always a huge issue for me. Whatever I choose is going to be lugged up mountains and carried on multi-day hikes. I do not use big lenses and I do not photograph wildlife. The longest lens I would use is a 300 f/4. I use an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. <br>

I realize that my budget means no Gitzo legs (unless I'm buying them used, and they seem to be rare on the used market for good reason). <br>

Right now, I'm looking at the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/4 and 190CXPRO3/4 legsets, but I do not see much discussion about them.<br>

Opinions? Other options?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Feisol makes some pretty nice carbon fiber models that are very lightweight and would fit into your budget. They're not quite as nice as Gitzos, but for their prices I think they are a good option. I've had a CT-3442 for about two years now and like it quite a bit.</p>

<p>Got a Sirui last fall and I'm quite happy with it. Not quite as smooth as a Gitzo, but for the price I can live with that. I use an Acratech V2 with it...very light and strong combination. Most Sirui legsets fold 'traveler' style, so they pack small. They also make a flat folder model. In the 'N' series, one leg can be detached and used as a monopod. I got <a href="http://www.sirui-photo.com/en/products.html?proTypeID=100036816&proID=100322614&proName=N-2204">this CF model</a> for under $400 at Amazom. It has retractable spikes, comes with both long and short center columns, and a nice bag.</p>

<p>This is very useful info, and I've settled on getting a Feisol. Two more questions:<br>

1. Is it worth paying for the RAPID anti-rotation legs?<br>

2. Is it worth paying for the 3442 vs the 3401 (Tournament vs. Classic)? What's the difference?</p>

<p>Dave: <br>

The regular legs work well if you take a few minutes to practice and get used to deploying and retracting the sections in sequence, as Howard said.<br>

Regarding your second question, send an email to Really Big Cameras and Kerry Thalmann will give you good advice. I was undecided regarding the 3401 vs. 3402; Kerry opined that, other things being equal, the 3401 would be more stable, though the difference would be minute. Good luck.</p>

<p>I don't know these tripods , but I have used a tripod extensively, maybe 80 days a year, for 15 years. I don't have a routine for which legs to open or close in which order, and whether to lock one leg lock in place befor unlocking another on the same leg or whatever. I don't think I'd want - or indeed would tolerate- a tripod where that was necessary. I'm happy to have new processes assocites with majot camera changes since that might improve my photographs. But a tripod? If you can spend a few dollars on getting you the freedom to open and lock in any order that takes your fancy ( if thats what the "rapid" feature does), then to me that would be money very well spent- indeed it might well be a prerequisite to keeping a tripod.</p>

<p>This thread largely seems to promote Feisol. Are they better than Benro?</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>This thread is out-of-date, but I thought I might post my decision. In the end, I decided to save up and purchase a Gitzo GT2541. I found a floor model for sale at LCD4Video. Yes, it sounds a little shady. But this is an honest business based in Detroit that bent over backwards to give me good, personal, customer service. it. I can recommend them wholeheartedly.<br>

The tripod is, of course, extremely well made. No regrets on saving up for it.</p>