Please help. What on earth is this?

jamie_robertson2

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I have no Nikon flash experience (I shoot Canon) but I need to know what this device is and what it's used for. According to my documentation, the device is called a Nikon iTTL slave unit. It has a Nikon dedicated hot shoe on the top and 3 identical ports around the sides. Each port has three connection prongs. The base of the unit has a standard 1/4" tripod socket. If I were to guess I would assume that a Nikon Speedlite is mounted onto the unit and when it fires I am guessing it sends a signal to all three ports in order to trigger other flashguns connected by cables. However, I may be completely wrong.</p>

<p>Can anyone help?</p>

<P>

<B>Copyrighted image deleted</B>

</P>

<p>I have no idea why you call it iTTL Slave Unit?</p>

<p>... and there is no Nikon iTTL cable splitter either.</p>

<p>I see some watermark on it as "JACK THE HAT" - is it the place where you pulled it out of the hat ?</p>

<p>This is the older multiflash adapter for older manual or old TTL, where connecting more than one flash by wires was possible.</p>

<p>iTTL/CLS is a wireless system, and cannot accept more than one flash by proper cable, e.g SC28/SC29. All other many remote CLS/iTTL flashes must operate wirelessly.</p>

<p>This device could possibly work on latest DSLR with multiple manual flashes, or in manual modes, but not in the iTTL.</p>

<p>Note that Nikon's link recommends SC26 or SC27 cords, but none of the iTTL/CLS cords . The SB600/SB800 flashes have old TTL mode and new iTTL/CLS mode, so in the old TTL mode, multiple of them could have been used with your old film Nikon TTL cameras.</p>

<p>Note that Nikon is careful not to call it iTTL, but only TTL, and this is appropriate.<br />Curiously, compatibility with any Nikon cameras flash system is not provided.</p>

<p>If you have a newer DSLR camera from Nikon, see what Nikon accessories are compatible with it, perhaps from your camera manual.</p>

<p>You do not have to trust vendors, especially who call themselves JACK THE HAT.</p>

<p>Thanks all for your incredible knowledge on this subject. It has helped me immensely. Taking all your advice into account, I have absolutely no idea why this particular device was called a Nikon iTTL slave unit in the first place.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I see some watermark on it as "JACK THE HAT" - is it the place where you pulled it out of the hat ?</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>You do not have to trust vendors, especially who call themselves JACK THE HAT</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="http://www.jackthehat.co.uk">Jack the Hat Photographic Ltd</a> is my own company. We are a UK based photographic accessory retailer. I didn't tell you this originally because I felt it was irrelevant. We ordered in a batch of these devices from Japan recently. When they arrived they were not exactly the type of product I imagined they would be. As I am a long time Canon shooter I have no idea about Nikon flash systems. I spend quite a bit of time on this forum for my own personal pleasure so I knew it would be the perfect place to get more detail on this product. After all, I cannot offer a product to a customer without knowing exactly what it is and how it should be used.<br /> Thank you all for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.</p>

<p>Peter, Jamie's original image shows a Nikon AS-10: <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Flash-Adapters/4560/AS-10-TTL-Multi-Flash-Adapter.html">http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Flash-Adapters/4560/AS-10-TTL-Multi-Flash-Adapter.html</a></p>

<p>Please keep in mind that photo.net's Community Guidelines require that any image you attach must be your own work. I.e. you must be the photographer and have the copyright to it. See guideline #3: <a href="../info/guidelines/">http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines/</a><br>

Otherwise, please just post a link to such image; do not hot link that into the forum so that it appears in line with the posts. We take copyright issues seriously here.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Please keep in mind that photo.net's Community Guidelines require that any image you attach must be your own work.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Shun</p>

<p>As stated above, I own Jack the Hat Photographic Ltd and the photograph is my own work and I own the copyright to the image. If you need any more proof, my name is in the EXIF copyright info and I have the RAW file here on my PC. That being the case, I am posting it again...</p><div>00YNJ7-338813584.jpg.45897aec27cb57807afc97f07d796979.jpg</div>

<p>Jamie, thanks. I had sent you e-mail early on inquiring about the copyright for that image, but I haven't received any reply. As long as you are the photographer and the copyright does not belong to someone else, there is no problem.</p>

<p>Earlier, I decided to leave the original image around for a short while to establish some answers and then deleted it since I was unable to confirm that it is the OP's image.</p>

<p>Jamie,</p>

<p>Please accept my apology. Your company name appeared funny to me, and sometimes it does not add to "professional" apperance of a business, where Iwould rather expect serious business matters.</p>

<p>You offer some hard to find devices, and good service, e.g like Express cards, etc. Once I got to see your site (web portal), the name does not seem funny anymore. Thank you for providing the link.<br>

I just book marked your web site, and will get things that are harder to find, and you already found them.</p>

<p>I wish you prosperity in your business, and success in photography.<br>

Frank.</p>

<p>I have used the AS-10 as an effective cold shoe on light stands. It holds Nikon speedlights more securely than any other cold shoe I have tried. [i expect that the Frio shoes are better, but I don't have any yet. I will get one later today when I encounter the Flash Bus Tour.]</p>

<p>The AS-10 can also be used with SC-26 and SC-27 cables and many Nikon speedlights in various and useful ways. I have only a few speedlights, of various generations, but all have the 3-pin ports -- including the SB-800. That said, I wouldn't go out and buy an AS-10 or the cables new. However, I've used them to solve problems. Sometimes that drawer of vintage stuff comes in handy to hack things together.</p>

<p><strong>Shun</strong> - I am really sorry, I did not receive the email you sent. I do not know why. Perhaps I should have said it was my image from the outset. Not to worry, these things happen.</p>

<p><strong>Frank</strong> - Apology accepted. To be honest, I chose that name years ago when I started out in business. At the time I had no intention of making it a professional enterprise. Now in 2011 it's a successful independent company and I regret choosing that particular name. Anyway, we're stuck with it now. I suppose it's unique and one that people will remember. Thanks also for your advice and knowledge of the item in question.</p>

<p>To <strong>Chris Leck, Bob Sunley, Douglas Lee</strong> and all others who have helped me with this, a big thanks indeed. Now I can list them for sale on our site knowing exactly what they are.</p>

<p>I'd also just like to say that I didn't intend for this post to be about advertising my company. That's not what Photo.net is for and I realise that. I just knew that this was the place to find out the necessary information from people who know what they're talking about.</p>

<p>Kindest regards</p>

<p>Jamie</p>

<p>Jamie, that company name is a little uncommon, but if it is working for you, obviously it is a good one and clearly you can't change it now.</p>

<p>BTW, your registered e-mail address with photo.net is The Atlantic Ocean one (<a href="mailto:the@lanticocean">the@lanticocean</a>). I just sent you another test e-mail. If you no longer receive e-mail there, please update your record on photo.net. We need the ability to communicate with members via e-mail.</p>